Need Help !!!

Decorating By Pupsimo Updated 10 Aug 2013 , 4:32pm by Pupsimo

Pupsimo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pupsimo Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 11

AOkay im a good savoury cook and get also do dessert pies and my brother always asks me to make a carmel shortcake but ive decided to make a cake last week I tried and the sponge came out very dense I didnt understand I followed the recipe to the letter I tried again today it came okay looking good I split it filled it and decorated and when I served it it still looked fine but when I ate it it was still stodgy and not very appealing I couldnt eat it and it was very off puttin so I binned the rest but I really need to know wht im doing wrong as I need to make a cake for tommorow

My recipe is

4eggs 200g self raising flour 200g margarine 200g caster sugar

I whisk my sugar and butter then whish the egg in an then siev and fold in the flour

My cake today the marg was out the fridge and due to it being a large amount of mixture as I made it up to 6eggs quanties I cooked it at gas mark 4 so it would cook through is this where my fault is ??

Any help is appreciated

10 replies
Pupsimo Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 11

AAlso I dont have any baking powder so I need a recipe for airy fluffy cakes with just self raising if possible

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 11

AMost cakes have liquid of some sort, usually milk. That would be my guess as to why your cake was so dense.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:21am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsimo 
Any help is appreciated

Honestly...........I don't know where you got that recipe and WHY you decided to make it. There would have to be an out of this world photograph of the cake to sell that recipe.

I would score that a below average recipe and tell you not to waste your time trying to make it better. Instead search the internet for recipes from that come highly recommended by ALOT of people.

Sorry, I know that might be read as being mean or a smart a__ but I'm just being truthful.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:34am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

Honestly...........I don't know where you got that recipe and WHY you decided to make it. There would have to be an out of this world photograph of the cake to sell that recipe.

I would score that a below average recipe and tell you not to waste your time trying to make it better. Instead search the internet for recipes from that come highly recommended by ALOT of people.

Sorry, I know that might be read as being mean or a smart a__ but I'm just being truthful.

Strangely enough, it's quite a popular recipe, but I have never seen the proportions quite like that.

My nan used to do one with 4 large eggs, 55g self-rising flour, 85g sugar and I think 4 tbls melted butter.

It's super simple, but makes for a great traditional sponge with jam and cream.

Stitches Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:45am
post #6 of 11

Using melted butter is a different recipe and you'll get a completely different product using margarine.

Is that the method you use too Scrumdiddlycakes? This must be something very different than what we do in the States.

Typically a sponge cake has the eggs separated with most of the sugar whipped into the yolks, the flour folded in, egg whites whipped with the rest of the sugar and than melted butter folded in.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:54am
post #7 of 11
Quote:

Using melted butter is a different recipe and you'll get a completely different product using margarine.

Is that the method you use too Scrumdiddlycakes? This must be something very different than what we do in the States.

Typically a sponge cake has the eggs separated with most of the sugar whipped into the yolks, the flour folded in, egg whites whipped with the rest of the sugar and than melted butter folded in.

Honestly, I have never baked with margarine, so I have no idea the differences, lol.

That's what I make when I want something nostalgic, if I am making an American sponge, it is a totally different recipe/method. The recipe I posted is what all the sponges I've had in when visiting Europe tasted like, but they were mainly made by family.

Maybe my relatives are just a bit 'off' :)

Stitches Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:27am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Maybe my relatives are just a bit 'off' :)

I hope your joking.........cause I meant no harm in any of my comments.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:34am
post #9 of 11
Quote:

I hope your joking.........cause I meant no harm in any of my comments.

oh, totally joking! Nothing you said was even remotely offensive to me.

Pupsimo Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 10:00am
post #10 of 11

AThanks for all the replies its really appreciated and reffering to Stitches I got my recipe of www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/532634/grannys-victoria-sponge I also dont take offense by what you said im new to baking I expecte I was doing something wrong haha anyway ive looked for a new recipe I dont know if its any better but im going to try its this uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516400 Im also going to add a bit of milk since that was a suggestion and about the melted butter I dont know the recipe if that could be sent to me Id have a try to see if thats any better and il get back soon to tell you all how it went thanks again

Pupsimo Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 11

ASo ive made a new cake and its gone very well with the new recipe plus some milk its turned out great not to dense and taste great thanks for all the help :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%