Scam Or No?

Lounge By sixinarow Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 8:22pm by sixinarow

sixinarow Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

I receive this message from my website contact form. It sounds "ify" to me....

Hello. You come very highly recommended, so im excited to finally have a need for a nice cake myself! My daughter is turning 9 on august 28th; and we are having a party for about 25 guests. She LOVES despicable me (the yellow minion with one eye is her favorite), and chocolate too. I\'ve seen cakes on pinterest that are stacked, but you are the artist here. I would just like to know what a minion cake frosted with that firm looking frosting (I think its still called frosting, it looks really smooth; smoother than buttercream)? Anyhow, thank you so much, and I look forward to hearing back. I\'m really excited.

I replied with my standard copyright reply..

Thank you so much for your inquiry. At this time, I do have August 28th available, however, full payment is due 2 weeks before scheduled pick-up. Until full payment is received, the date is open to other orders who pay in full first.

I have seen the Minion cakes, and while they are absolutely adorable and I would love to create a Minion out of cake, under copyright law, it is illegal to reproduce and sell a copyrighted image without written consent. I'm aware that other bakers choose to disregard the law, but I've chosen to operate under the law, even if it means that I lose out on some potential clients. I would gladly make a cake Minion if you can get written consent from Universal Studios granting copyright permission for this cake or I would be happy to work with you to design a cake in a theme of Despicable Me. I can design a cake based on some of your daughters favorite scenes from the movie and you can purchase characters that I can use on the cake, or we can design a cake that is based on some of her favorite activites.

Thank you so much for your email, please let me know if you would like to move forward with an order so we can discuss details.

So...any bets on if I hear back form the person who wants "firm looking frosting"?  My bet is on a big, fat NO.

6 replies
bct806 Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 4:13am
post #2 of 7

I don't think it sounds wonky at all. My husband's aunt once asked me to make a cake for her. She said I could do whatever I wanted but she wanted it to be baseball themed and she wanted it to have lard frosting. I had no idea what she meant and spent about 5 minutes trying to get her to explain while she just repeated that she wanted lard frosting. lol. It sounds like the lady just doesn't know what fondant is and is trying to explain it as best she can. The only reason you may not hear from her is because you can't do what she wants. 

AZCouture Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 4:35am
post #3 of 7

ANot a scam, just an excited and wordy lady.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

ADoesn't sound like a scam to me. "Firm-looking frosting" = fondant.

sixinarow Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Doesn't sound like a scam to me. "Firm-looking frosting" = fondant.

Yea, I figured that! I got a chuckle out of "firm looking frosting" though!!

It's the first sentence to me that sounded a little off. I'm small time, so it's word of mouth usually just to get to my website.

bct806 Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Yea, I figured that! I got a chuckle out of "firm looking frosting" though!!

It's the first sentence to me that sounded a little off. I'm small time, so it's word of mouth usually just to get to my website.

Why would that sound like a scam? Your cakes are very well down. If the flavor is there as well, then I don't see why you wouldn't be highly recommended. 

sixinarow Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know -- maybe because it was vague and it came from my webpage? Maybe beacuse I'm greener than green to the business side?

I'm used to the "Hey, I got your name from so-and-so"  so I guess it sounded off to me! I just launched my website and fb page last week, so inquiries from total strangers (not acquaintances or friends of friends or neighbors of someone who had a cake before) is a really new thing!! The business side is very, very new to me. (Can't you tell) I've spent the last couple years getting my ducks in a row and finally took the plunge about 6 months ago with selling. So, I guess it did sound strange to be "highly recommended" even though it's a good thing.

Little bit of a self-confidence issue, I guess! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%