Please Help!! Red Buttercream Question!!!

Baking By KimmieKake Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 8:25pm by Smckinney07

KimmieKake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 7

AHi everyone!!! Long time reader...first time poster! I am making my first ever cake order, a small Ladybug smashcake and the customer wants buttercream. I think I have the red down (started with pink and added red-no taste). My main question far in advance can I make this buttercream (all butter recipe). I plan on frosting the cake Saturday night and deliver Sunday morning for party. I've googled for the past 3 days and can't find a definitive answer. TIA!!! :)

6 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

AYour icing should darken over time, if you're going for a deeper color I'd suggest making it a few days in advance (before you start decorating) so you can make sure you get the color you want. Another suggestion with your BC is coloring a larger amount, so you don't run out and have to try and match the color.

I'm not sure what your recipe is but some BC can be sealed and frozen for up to a month, that's your call. I'd just make it a few days before you are planning to decorate, cover with plastic wrap, and cover in an airtight container-refrigerate. When your ready to use it let it come back to room temp, it will probably need rewhipped.

KimmieKake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

AThank you!!!! Yes I tested a small portion with the pink and red dye and I love the color I achieved! I made one huuuuge batch, more than I actually need...but haven't colored yet. I was just wondering since I made it today, will the buttercream stay fresh (yes I put in an airtight container) till Sunday, day of party?

KimmieKake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

AI used an all butter recipe, powdered sugar with just a tsp of milk. For future reference, do you recommend a certain BC recipe? I know there's so many!

Smckinney07 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

AI use ganache mostly or IMBC or Smbc. There's a recipe on Craftsy, it's a free class from Joshua Russell all about BC. Another recipe I've run across with great reviews is a Meringue Buttercream from Cake Fixation website, it's a cross between Swiss and American, also Jennifer Bratko's SMBC (formerly From Scratch SF Wordpress website) she's also a CC member. I don't have any links with me, just google and you'll find the recipes.

You just need to try some recipes out and see what works for your area and what you enjoy working with if you want to try something different. I think your BC will be fine in the fridge, the powdered sugar helps keep it from perishing (that's a word isn't it lol).

KimmieKake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

AWow ya there's a lot of recipes! I'm still learning!!! I wanted to do a ganache but I wasn't sure how the dye would work. But ill practice...just didn't want to chance it with my first. And "perishable" is def a word to me! Lol!! Thanks again for all the info! I called the cake supply store that I go to all the time (girls are usually very helpful) but a guy answered and basically tried to get me to buy their buttercream and wouldn't answer my question LOL! So I figured I'd post here...from now on this forum will be my "go-to" spot for help :)

Smckinney07 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7

AFor your cake I'd definitely use BC. I just fell in love with ganache last year, mainly because it's easier (for me anyway) to get sharper corners under fondant but I don't color it. Don't get me wrong, BC is wonderful, and I use it often. I haven't tried any store bought icings, aside from the small Duncan Hines cans years ago. People are great here with guidance and experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%