First Time Wedding Cake - Advice Needed!!

Decorating By AngesCakes Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 1:03pm by AngesCakes

fillylily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fillylily Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:07am
post #31 of 40

AThan

Original message sent by mcaulir

Just use ganache between the layers. Honestly. It's so easy - it's non-perishable for the length of time you're talking about, it glues everything together solidly, everyone loves to eat it. Just put a thin layer between the layers of cake.

Thank you thank you thank you all!! I cannot wait to do this cake now! Cheers

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 10:46am
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I would not do this cake if I had to ask all the questions you have asked here. This is someone's wedding. In my opinion, it would be better to get some experience under your belt before committing to a wedding cake.

there are two different "threads" in here. The original poster is not the person doing her daughters cake and I agree with you howsweet, a wedding is not something you practice on, and by the questions this poster needs some more experience.

To the second poster (fillylily) go for it, I think its very special to do something like that for your daughter, she (and you ) will remember it forever!

AngesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngesCakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:42pm
post #33 of 40

Thanks Cakechick, I think you may be right, I'll play around with dummy tiers first before committing.

AngesCakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:51pm
post #34 of 40

Thanks for all your advice Smckinney, never thought of using melted chocolate between layers :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:02am
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

As someone who had their MIL do their wedding cake I must respectfully but totally disagree. I loved the sentiment that came with the cake. Your daughter will love the cake - my MIL could have set a pretty ugly cake in front of me and I would have loved it anyway. If your daughter asked you to make the cake she is confident that you can do it - take the cue from her and believe in yourself, it will be a wonderful cake from the heart xx

I should have made it more clear I was talking to the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillylily 

How sweet.. You are sweet! No you are not being harsh but honestly, you are feeling what I am feeling. And I did tell my daughter how I felt about it. She reassured me that although it is her wedding, and a garden wedding at that, to her it is just a big garden party, like the ones we always do at home. Both my daughter and future son in law insist i make the wedding cake. And after they told me they want it to look "homemade" and specifically asked for this old family-tested chocolate cake and specifically NO fondant, i was brave enough to say "Oh alright then ". icon_smile.gif but that was 6 months ago and now that the wedding is 2 months away, i am feeling really anxious thus all these questions. Sorry to sound annoying but i just want to tick all the boxes.

As I said above, that was not meant for you at all, but for the original poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123 

there are two different "threads" in here. The original poster is not the person doing her daughters cake and I agree with you howsweet, a wedding is not something you practice on, and by the questions this poster needs some more experience.

To the second poster (fillylily) go for it, I think its very special to do something like that for your daughter, she (and you ) will remember it forever!

Thanks for clearing that up!  I agree 100% icon_biggrin.gif

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:01am
post #36 of 40

AAgnes, your welcome. Chocolate is just quicker for me, typically.

I think this thread got confusing because multiple people were asking questions, which is no big deal. There is a lot of useful info in this thread.

Agnes, I had asked earlier if you had ever made a tiered cake before because I, like HowSweet, was concerned that you weren't quite ready to make a wedding cake by the questions you were asking.

Nobody means offense here, we'd just hate for anyone to get in over their head, so please don't take offense. We all understand the desire to jump in and start selling cakes, however, if your not prepared then practicing on someone's cake (especially a wedding) isn't a good idea. Mainly because it can ruin your business.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:17am
post #37 of 40

lol - right you are Howsweet. Had to read back over that to separate the comments.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:31am
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

lol - right you are Howsweet. Had to read back over that to separate the comments.

I agree with what you said - there is no better cake than one from the heart. I still remember some of the cakes my mom made for my birthdays with icing dripping all over the plate. I even made one like that for one of my daughters and we all thought it was lovely. But people will be people and a snarky person commented that I should have bought her a nice cake from the grocery store!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:42am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

I agree with what you said - there is no better cake than one from the heart. I still remember some of the cakes my mom made for my birthdays with icing dripping all over the plate. I even made one like that for one of my daughters and we all thought it was lovely. But people will be people and a snarky person commented that I should have bought her a nice cake from the grocery store!

There's always got to be one doesn't there! I do agree with what you said though in regards to a baker in business asking all those questions about a paying clients wedding cake - I wouldn't want to pay someone to practice on me dunce.gif but when it is from someone special the flaws somehow disappear icon_smile.gif

AngesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:03pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

Agnes, your welcome. Chocolate is just quicker for me, typically.

I think this thread got confusing because multiple people were asking questions, which is no big deal. There is a lot of useful info in this thread.

Agnes, I had asked earlier if you had ever made a tiered cake before because I, like HowSweet, was concerned that you weren't quite ready to make a wedding cake by the questions you were asking.

Nobody means offense here, we'd just hate for anyone to get in over their head, so please don't take offense. We all understand the desire to jump in and start selling cakes, however, if your not prepared then practicing on someone's cake (especially a wedding) isn't a good idea. Mainly because it can ruin your business.

Thank you Smckinney..... no offense taken:) Yes I have made tiered cakes before, just not for a wedding. The problem is not whether I can do tiers, its the fact that its a "wedding cake" that's making me nervous. You hear disaster stories especially about transporting cakes to venues and you just imagine the worst.  I just want it to be perfect for the bride and I guess I'm asking questions that I actually know the answers for, but just want to be absolutely sure.... just in case there is a better way. The bride is a friend of a friend who knows this will be my first "wedding cake" but has seen my other cakes and has asked if I could do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%