Creat Ombre Look By Painting Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By richbell Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm by Dayti

richbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
richbell Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:55am
post #1 of 5

I enjoy decorating cakes and am pretty much self-taught but also rely on the help of great sites like this as well as you-tube.  I am making a cake that has a seahorse theme and I want to cover the cake with fondant(white) and then paint an ombre look with blues that will hopefully look somewhat like watercolor.  I do not have an airbrush so I will be doing this with a brush.  Any advice?  Thank you!

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 9:33am
post #2 of 5

To make paint for your cake I would use a good quality gel or paste food dye such as americolour and dilute that with vodka or a clear vanilla etc extract to get the consistency you are looking for. You are better off with a couple of thinner coats(let dry in between) rather than one thick coat.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 10:47am
post #3 of 5

I did that for the cake at the front of this picture, I think it works great. As bubs said, dilute with vodka to get the right consistency. Also when you cover your cake, roll out an extra piece of fondant so you can test the colour before painting your cake. Flat wide brushes work best, and have your cake on a turntable so it's easier and you don't get marks where you stop and start painting.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 11:08am
post #4 of 5

Wow...your cakes are beautiful, but that one in the back is stunning!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! That was at an expo last November. The one in the middle is actually my wedding cake (I made a dummy and kitchen cakes), still going strong after 2,5 years although it's a bit dusty now. The painted one is in my bakery window and is now so faded I have to do something else with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%