Expired Hi-Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By Yary3481 Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 1:03am by howsweet

Yary3481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yary3481 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 1:16am
post #1 of 13

AI'm making cupcakes for my son's birthday party this Saturday and wanted to try IndyDeb's Crisco frosting. I decided to buy hi-ratio shortening to use in place of the Crisco at a cake supply store near my job a few days ago, along with the rest of the supplies I needed.

Well, I made one batch of the frosting (which it turned out great!) and was looking to see if the label had any storage/shelf life instructions, since I won't be using all of the 3 lb. tub, and noticed a July 2013 date. It is so tiny I never noticed it when I made my purchase.

Under the UPC label it says "BB Date: July 2013." Am I wrong to assume that it's a "best by" or "best before" date? Should I return it to the store?

The frosting looks and tasted fine but now I don't know if it's safe to ingest.

12 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 1:23am
post #2 of 13

That stuff lasts forever.  Yes best by date is sort of like saying you were at your best at 30 but now that you're 40 doesn't mean you're over the hill.  I use the sniff test.  As long as it doesn't have an off odor you're all set.

Yary3481 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 1:58am
post #3 of 13

AOkay, so that means it's safe to use. Glad to know. Thanks!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:50am
post #4 of 13

Like Denise said, make sure it doesn't have a rancid smell or taste.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 13

It's still safe to use but the store should not sell a product that is out of date, or close to it. Since you won't be using it that often, you need a can with a longer shelf life. I would return or exchange it. 

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 13

I would return it that is bad to have something that is about to expire or expire on the shelf sometimes if I find something that is about to ex I point it out to them.

howsweet Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 13

If it's hard to obtain and a long drive to the store, it might make more sense this time to call the factory and make sure the stuff is ok and then possibly keep it refrigerated until you need it again. I wonder how it freezes? If it's simple to return, then that's another story.

mollineau Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 13

Oh yes what you say makes a lot of sense refrigeration is a good option and calling toothumbs_up.gif

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 13

AI would definitely return it. It is true that it has a long shelf life, but the makers of it know that and the best before date reflects it. So, how old must this stuff be?! No store should be selling expired product anyway.

Yary3481 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:43am
post #10 of 13

AHi,

Thank you all for your replies.

Well, I returned the shortening today. I initially went in wanting to exchange it for another one but they were ALL expired. Same July 2013 BB date!

I didn't think that could be since it's one of the main cake supply stores in NYC. Now I know not to take that for granted.

mollineau Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 13

Yes a big store but sometimes you have to point it out to them because some stores go blind when they want to get rid of old stuff. I shop at a high end store here and as good as there stuff are I watch them close too because they would have ex stuff there too say something to them maybe they will bring the new shorting they have at the store room icon_smile.gif

Yary3481 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:52am
post #12 of 13

AI did inform them that the rest of the stock on the shelf was expired; that's when they offered to give me the refund ( they have a "No Returns or Exchange" policy).

I'll be more vigilant from now on, for sure.

howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:03am
post #13 of 13

The company has to pick a number to use for the date. They know all sorts of stuff can happen to their product like stores keeping it in a 110 degree un-airconditioned building, for example.  It develops a bad taste and smell when it goes bad. If it had gone rancid, it would just taste bad, not give you food poisoning. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%