Was This Hand Piped On?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 9:44pm by CakeGeekUk

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 11

Are the scrolls on this wedding cake piped on with icing or was it done with fondant using some kind of mold? The scrolls look so perfect & they look kind of flat & wide as if they would be fondant. It seems like if they were piped on they would stick out more & wouldn't be so wide/flat. Anyone know how this was done? If it was done with a mold, where can I find it (or one similar to it)? I tried looking up the website where it came from, but it's in another language (Brennies cake house). Thanks in advance!

10 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 11

AI think it is either a mold or an onlay. Actually, I think mold. You can see a repeating pattern, slightly altered by positioning. There are also a couple of places that might be where the pieces are joined. Beautiful cake!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 11

AI say piped.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 11
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 11

A

Original message sent by as you wish

I think it is either a mold or an onlay. Actually, I think mold. You can see a repeating pattern, slightly altered by positioning. There are also a couple of places that might be where the pieces are joined. Beautiful cake!

I concur. I don't think it was piped.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 11

Looks like they may have used an electronic cutter and cut the gum paste designs. I use my Silhouette to create designs like this all the time.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 11

It's definitely not piped on. No one can pipe that flat and still get those edges on the curves. It might be a mold or it could also be done with-out a mold (if you're good).

If you roll out fondant and shape it into scrolls you can use a rolling pin over the design to get that look/flatten the scrolls.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

I think it is this:
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=4950&step=4

That is it exactly! Good job finding it. Too bad it is out of stock

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

I think it is this:
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=4950&step=4

yes it is the Jem cutter< I have that set and it works great for scrolls

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 11

Thank y'all so much for your help! I found the cutter on amazon, will be ordering soon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PLGWVQ/?tag=cakecentral-20+Frieze+%26+Scroll+Cutter+Set

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 11

There's also another set of good scroll cutters from Stephen Bennison's Sugar Artistry Collection (should be available through Global Sugar Art).

But I'm not entirely convinced that the scroll design in the pic was made with cutters.  The edges are very clean - I suspect it was made with an electronic cutter like a Silhouette machine or Cricut like one of the earlier posters mentioned.  Would love to get my hands on one of those bad boys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%