"naked" Wedding Cake

Business By slescarini Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 2:37am by MBalaska

slescarini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slescarini Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am having last minute jitters. I have booked a "naked" cake with a bride due next month. She has requested fruit filling with icing. I know that fruit is slippery and can cause cake slides when driving. The venue is 45 minutes away at max. Any driving suggestions? Would it be better to keep each tier wrapped to prevent drying out and then assemble at the venue and then unwrap? Thanks in advance.  

4 replies
medicmama7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medicmama7 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:29am
post #2 of 5

On site assembly would be the safest, but may be you could assemble then wrap each tier in plastic tightly. That may work, I am honestly brainstorming. May be someone has actually done this...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #3 of 5

"A naked" Cake?   What's up with that.  They could have cupcakes if they don't want huge amounts of icing. That's like asking a professional Wedding dress seamstress to make a petticoat to wear down the isle.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 12:35am
post #4 of 5

there are a few hints if you read through here as far as keeping the cake from drying. http://cakecentral.com/t/761226/have-they-really-finally-found-a-way-to-lower-a-price-of-a-wedding-cake

I wrap each layer in cling wrap, then on site use a very thick warm simple syrup, and spray or brush it on the exposed cake. I use it warm because once it cools it's too thickly to nicely spread.

Another poster mentioned she uses piping gel.

I never assemble on site, unless it's a massive cake, but if you are feeling uneasy, do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

"A naked" Cake?   What's up with that.  They could have cupcakes if they don't want huge amounts of icing. That's like asking a professional Wedding dress seamstress to make a petticoat to wear down the isle.

In general, cupcakes have a higher frosting to cake ratio than a slice of cake does.

And actually, a well made naked cake is harder to execute than a basic iced or fondant covered cake, imo. There is nothing to hide behind, so everything has to be perfect.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 
.....There is nothing to hide behind, so everything has to be perfect.

Well that leaves me out, imperfection is my middle name. Do you make a lot of these in your business?

I'd have to make the cakes three or four times to get one that had clean smooth edges, no I wasn't thinking of how difficult it would be to make.  My thought was that it was so 'stripped down' compared to the complexity, creativity, and design that goes into a fully decorated cake. I don't like it, but each to it's own. Que Sera.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%