Stolen Pictures

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 27 May 2014 , 2:27pm by lingua

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 2:44am
post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

This apparently happens to photographers too. I recently came across a website dedicated to exposing "photographers" who steal and post other photog's pictures to promote their business. 

Edited to fix typo

I would get a barrel of laughs out of a website like that. I think it would be funny to see the people called out about it. We need one for cakes.

It would also be funny if Rumba Cake Designs is on CC. I have no clue if they are. Probably not, but I would love to see their face while they read this thread.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:03am
post #32 of 108

AI know a CC member who is a cake picture theft.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:15am
post #33 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

I know a CC member who is a cake picture theft.

Sadly, there are probably quite a few of them.

My snarky side loves nothing more than tattling on a pic thief, lol.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:17am
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL 

I would get a barrel of laughs out of a website like that. I think it would be funny to see the people called out about it. We need one for cakes.

They actually did have one for cake photo thieves, not sure if it's still up or not. 
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:20am
post #35 of 108

Here it is: http://cake-thief.blogspot.com

But doesn't look like they have posted in a few years. 

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #36 of 108

Sorry but I find it more than a bit amusing that folks in this thread condemn the stealing of photographs while marketing their businesses with cakes that steal the intellectual property of others.  Those of you condemning these bakers have gotten permissions for each of those cakes you are using to market your business correct?

There is just something disingenuous about those complaining about and turning in businesses they see marketing themselves with others photographs while shamelessly making cakes that infringe on the intellectual property of others.  And don't kid yourself both practices are using the intellectual property of others.  

I am not saying you should not be turning them in.  Rather that you should look to your own practices before condemning the practices of others for you never know you may find yourself the subject of cease and desist order courtesy of some individual who has decided to turn you in for that character cake you have made without first securing permission from the copyright holder.

cakecrafting450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrafting450 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:00am
post #37 of 108

AMaybe I'm too tired to get it, but to clarify for my wee mind ... you think finding a picture of a cake through a random search engine and calling it your own by adding it to your website is the same as actually executing the design yourself? Furthermore people shouldn't throw stones because they (as a major generalization) have made cake designs from copyrighted images? Oy. My brain hurts.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:08pm
post #38 of 108

I have never made any character or copyrighted cakes. Won't do them. Ever!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:21pm
post #39 of 108

A

Original message sent by gatorcake

Sorry but I find it more than a bit amusing that folks in this thread condemn the stealing of photographs while marketing their businesses with cakes that steal the intellectual property of others.  Those of you condemning these bakers have gotten permissions for each of those cakes you are using to market your business correct?

There is just something disingenuous about those complaining about and turning in businesses they see marketing themselves with others photographs while shamelessly making cakes that infringe on the intellectual property of others.  And don't kid yourself both practices are using the intellectual property of others.  

I am not saying you should not be turning them in.  Rather that you should look to your own practices before condemning the practices of others for you never know you may find yourself the subject of cease and desist order courtesy of some individual who has decided to turn you in for that character cake you have made without first securing permission from the copyright holder.

I understand what you are saying and I don't think copyright infringement is something to be taken lightly, however I do feel that there is a difference between putting an image of Mickey Mouse on a cake and claiming that you have created Mickey Mouse. I am not defending the use of copyrighted material, but I think there is something a bit more foul about outright lying about what you have made. Just my opinion.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:55pm
post #40 of 108

A

Original message sent by as you wish

I think there is something a bit more foul about outright lying about what you have made. Just my opinion.

I also think it is much more likely that someone didn't understand the ethical breach of producing popular characters. It's so easy to purchase a character pan or order Etsy edible images. I can see where some people would be confused. There is [B]NO[/B] confusion of dishonesty when stealing someone else's photo and posting it as your own.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 2:44pm
post #41 of 108

Oh please, those are 2 totally different things.  One is making your own cake and using a character that is copyrighted on your own cake and the other is not bothering to make your own cake and taking someone else's picture of the cake they worked hard on and calling it your own for all the world to see.  If we are going to compare topics that are apples and oranges maybe we should compare this topic to speeding.  Or maybe using the 10 items or less aisle at the grocery store when we have 11 or 12 items.  I mean they are all no-no's right? So it makes sense that we would bring these topic up right? (hope you hear the sarcasm)

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:23pm
post #42 of 108

So I found her facebook page last night and posted a comment on several cake saying that the cake was either a Pink Cake Box cake or Freed's Bakery cake.  I just checked back and she has taken all the comment off (I did about 8) and has disabled any comments on all her pictures and you can't even post a message on her page at all. I think she did take one photo off but that's all.  I just realized that on her real cakes she puts her business card on the cake board so now I can see every one that she did and didn't do.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #43 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

Oh please, those are 2 totally different things.  One is making your own cake and using a character that is copyrighted on your own cake and the other is not bothering to make your own cake and taking someone else's picture of the cake they worked hard on and calling it your own for all the world to see.

Indeed. Plagiarism and copyright infringement are two completely separate offenses, and it is entirely possible to commit either one by itself, or both with the same act. Copyright infringement is the act of copying and distributing something that is not your own, without being granted any legal right to do so, in such a way that you either profit materially from doing so, or harm the owner's ability to profit materially from his or her work, whether you take credit for it or not; plagiarism is the act of passing off another's work -- under some circumstances, especially academic circumstances, even one you personally commissioned as a work-for-hire, from someone fully aware that you would be taking full credit -- as your own, whether you are violating a copyright or not.

That said, every image I have ever put on a cake was an image I had legal standing for putting on that cake. And indeed, I walked into the cake supply, fully prepared to document that legal standing: in the case of the Leland Awards cake, I could have gone out to my car, and grabbed my IPM docent badge as proof that I legitimately represented the Museum; in the case of various Wikimedia Commons images, I downloaded not only the image, but the page giving its PD, CC, or GPL status.

And while it was a DVD, rather than a cake, some months ago, I put together a short video, documenting the Endeavour's arrival in Los Angeles: its flybys and landing at LAX, the long crawl through the streets of Inglewood and L.A., and its current temporary home in a large, temporary barn, adjacent to the California Science Center. I couldn't follow it for the entire long crawl from LAX to Exposition Park, and neither could I simply waltz onto airport property, so I incorporated pictures others had shot, including shots of its final trip into orbit. But every shot I used that wasn't my own was either an official NASA picture (PD, by definition), or had been posted on either Wikimedia Commons, or Flickr, with a statement by the photographer, granting the entire world a license to it under either CC or GPL. That gets me off the hook on copyright (though I'm not off the hook with the canned music, so this is a DVD that will never see public distribution), but it is the fact that I explicitly credited everything on the DVD that was not my own work that gets me off the hook on plagiarism.

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:10pm
post #44 of 108

So I got a reply back from her after and this is what she had to say.  "I just want to tell you that all the pictures i have in my website and facebook are 100% my cakes. If you havent read in my information, i work OVER DESIGN that my customers send me. The clients send me the picture and i have the capacity to make the just how they are in the picture. You can do and say whatever you might like to, but anytime i can prove to you with my work that i dont have to be stealing peoples pictures. You should do something more productive in life instead of putting comment out of place. Im going to repeat, whenever you want me to prove anything just let us know. Thank you and have a good day!"

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:11pm
post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

...however I do feel that there is a difference between putting an image of Mickey Mouse on a cake and claiming that you have created Mickey Mouse. 

Quote: 

Oh please, those are 2 totally different things.  One is making your own cake and using a character that is copyrighted on your own cake and the other is not bothering to make your own cake and taking someone else's picture of the cake they worked hard on and calling it your own for all the world to see.  If we are going to compare topics that are apples and oranges maybe we should compare this topic to speeding.  Or maybe using the 10 items or less aisle at the grocery store when we have 11 or 12 items.  I mean they are all no-no's right? So it makes sense that we would bring these topic up right? (hope you hear the sarcasm)

The title of this thread is not false advertising, the title of this thread is "Stolen Pictures."  Through out the thread people talk about decorators stealing (not using) the images of others.  This is why I deliberately used the term stealing when describing using copyrighted and trademarked materials.  Describing using the images of others as stealing is quite different than saying decorators who use the work of others.  See when you describe the act as stealing the images of others, it is a twofold violation one ethical and the other legal 1) using the image to market your own work--potentially false advertising and 2) the taking and posting of the image-the very act of reposting the image when you do not have permission--theft.  

And again it is interesting that folks would use self-serving justifications to try and parse a distinction between the two acts (when the act in question is described as theft not as false advertising) while mocking those very same self-serving practices used by decorators to justify their use of other people's images (i.e. I posted them because it shows what I can do, I did not know etc.)  In this case trying to reduce the practice in question to something as little as standing in a 10 item or less lane when you have 11 items--oh its just a little lie.  (Sarcasm aside when this discussion comes up folks often try equate the use of copyrighted material as some minor infraction of the rules).

You can attempt to minimize the violation all you want, just as those who steal the pictures of others do when attempt to justify their actions, but the simple truth of the matter is both practices are predicated on taking and using something that does not belong to you.  That one also entails the additional act of false advertising does not erase what both practices have in common.  Indeed attempting to position these practices as distinct is nothing more than a self-serving justification to minimize illegal behavior.  See here is the trick, what makes the practice described in this thread as violation of the law is not the advertising of a cake that you did not make, it is the use of the image you do not have permission for.  Indeed as far as I know there is no law against using an image that you have permission to use and claiming you can make the cake in the image.  

If you are going to rail against this practice I suggest you make sure your hands are clean.  Because frankly complaints about stealing ring hollow from those using the intellectual property of others to make a buck.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:22pm
post #46 of 108

Keep it civil and be polite in your disagreements or the threads gets deleted.  Thank you.

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:29pm
post #47 of 108

I am not trying to minimize the violation, I am just stating that they are two completely different practices and do not relate to each other however much you think they do.  Yes copyrighting is wrong but you are not stealing the character you are misusing it and.  Copyright infringement is the use of works under copyright (definition on Wikipedia).  So one thing again does not have anything to do with the other. My examples are valid since they take two unrelated things and compare them which is what you are doing.  It is like saying that you hate people that  rob banks when someone tells you that you shouldn't have a problem with it since you speed sometime which is breaking the law as well.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:30pm
post #48 of 108
Quote:

So I got a reply back from her after and this is what she had to say.  "I just want to tell you that all the pictures i have in my website and facebook are 100% my cakes. If you havent read in my information, i work OVER DESIGN that my customers send me. The clients send me the picture and i have the capacity to make the just how they are in the picture. You can do and say whatever you might like to, but anytime i can prove to you with my work that i dont have to be stealing peoples pictures. You should do something more productive in life instead of putting comment out of place. Im going to repeat, whenever you want me to prove anything just let us know. Thank you and have a good day!"

Sounds about right. Takes absolutely no responsibility, nor shows an ounce of respect for the work of others and good business practice.

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:36pm
post #49 of 108
"Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Sounds about right. Takes absolutely no responsibility, nor shows an ounce of respect for the work of others and good business practice.

Yeah and when I replied back to her message pointing to certain pictures she never responded and deleted the post then she post this on her feed. "We have been getting a lot of messeges about the pictures of our cakes. We just want to let everyone know that all the pictures in our Facebook page are 100% ours. We work OVER DESIGN. Our customers send us pictures of the design they like and we make it for them. We do not have any pictures from any other bakeries. Thank you and we will always be at your service!"

She is totally incredible and I cannot believe her gall to blatantly lie about these pictures. I feel so sorry for the bakeries she has stolen from and am so glad she has none of mine because she would never take them down.  If anyone wants her facebook page to check to see if she has any of your pictures pm me and I will send it your way. BTW what the heck is working "over design" mean? It doesn't even make sense.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:56pm
post #50 of 108

AI was wondering the same thing. What is 'over design?' A nice word for copying?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 5:18pm
post #51 of 108

I guess she over designs backgrounds and camera angles too? She is very gifted...

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm
post #52 of 108
Quote:

Yeah and when I replied back to her message pointing to certain pictures she never responded and deleted the post then she post this on her feed. "We have been getting a lot of messeges about the pictures of our cakes. We just want to let everyone know that all the pictures in our Facebook page are 100% ours. We work OVER DESIGN. Our customers send us pictures of the design they like and we make it for them. We do not have any pictures from any other bakeries. Thank you and we will always be at your service!"

She is totally incredible and I cannot believe her gall to blatantly lie about these pictures. I feel so sorry for the bakeries she has stolen from and am so glad she has none of mine because she would never take them down.  If anyone wants her facebook page to check to see if she has any of your pictures pm me and I will send it your way. BTW what the heck is working "over design" mean? It doesn't even make sense.

Geez, she sounds like a piece of work.  

I read "over design" as a verb.  As in, you give me a picture of a clean and simple cake, and I over-design the heck out of it so that it just looks gaudy.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 5:57pm
post #53 of 108

AThat crossed my mind, too, jenni.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 7:56pm
post #54 of 108

AI'm confused. If she works "over design@ then why doesn't she just put the pictures up of tht cake that SHE did for her clients?

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:02pm
post #55 of 108

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I'm confused. If she works "over design@ then why doesn't she just put the pictures up of tht cake that SHE did for her clients?

The million dollar question, eh? Probably knows her work.doesn't hold a candle to the photos she shows.

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:07pm
post #56 of 108

AI don't understand how people can't be proud of what they do create. Surely you can't feel good about people thinking someone else's work is yours.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #57 of 108

AI sometimes have friends who post pictures of cakes from other places onto my FB page saying things like "I thought you would like this", or "I bet you could do this", etc. and I always think it must look strange to others. I always comment on it with something like "Whoever made that is very talented!" or "I didn't make this, but I would love to try doing something like it." or something so that people will know it isn't mine! (This is on my personal FB page, not my business one; no one but me can put things on there!) I would hate for anyone to think I was trying to pass off other people's work as my own!

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:32pm
post #58 of 108

Maybe she prints out the pic then puts it on her table and puts her computer OVER it and then gets on her computer and posts the stolen pictures. 

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm
post #59 of 108

So I totally forgot to say that she will take a stolen picture, crop out or photo shop out the company name and then put her watermark on the cake so that no one steals from her I guess.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:55pm
post #60 of 108

A

Original message sent by reginaherrin

Maybe she prints out the pic then puts it on her table and puts her computer OVER it and then gets on her computer and posts the stolen pictures. 

Lmao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%