Cake Pop Sticks

Decorating By qtrican Updated 9 Oct 2013 , 1:48am by Teezerts

qtrican Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtrican Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 14

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, so forgive me if it is not.

When I make cake pops I use real butter cream frosting in the mix. When I make cake pops the night before they are needed, they look great and I go to bed. The next morning they are still on their sticks and look just like they did the night before. My problem is the paper sticks. I see that the paper sticks have soaked up some of the fats from the butter cream and have a greasy paper bag translucent color to them. No one has ever said it was a problem, but I just don't like it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to stop it? I'm looking for ways to stop it other than using canned frosting.

Thanks!

13 replies
nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 14

When I make my cake pops.. I don't put my stick inside until I'm ready to add chocolate to the pop.  I also use very little buttercream and I make my buttercream with butter as well.

qtrican Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 14

I'm sorry if I was not clear. I follow all the normal steps in making a pop, (bake cake, crumble, mix, roll, chill, dip). I have no problems during this process or with the pops after they are done. It just seems like the paper sticks draw out the butter fats and I think it makes them look a little off putting. 

nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 14

I honestly never had this problem... since I use very little frosting to bind my cake pops together.. do you happened to have a picture of what you are talking about?

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 14

It could be that you're adding too much buttercream to the cake pops? I'm also wondering if it's some of the oils coming from the coating. I would get that pretty frequently when doing cake pops. What do you think about letting them sit without the wrapper to breathe for a bit before wrapping them?

qtrican Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 14

Here is a pic. I have notes and arrows to show what I'm talking about.

nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 14

Interesting.. it looks as if.. its happening on the brown cake pops vs the white ones.. have you considered maybe that's a factor? or it happens with any color except for white?

It doesn't look like fat moisture.. fat moisture would actually open the stick up its self.. (wouldn't it?) ..

nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 14

Btw they do have plastic sticks.. if you want to try that.. But, yeah maybe you should dry them out standing on your stand first.. Once dry then place the bags on them and put in the fridge..

qtrican Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 14

For the most part, I don't have to bag my pops. they are normally in a display arrangement and the whole thing gets wrapped in cellophane right before delivery. I'm wondering if therealmrsriley is on the right track. I remember having one heck of a time getting the brown candy melts to the correct dipping consistency. I had to use more paramount crystals than normal. I think I will have to do an experiment to find out if that is the problem. Thank you guys for helping me with this issue.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 14

These are THE cutest cake pops!! Let us know what you find out!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 14

Do you dip your sticks in melted chocolate before sticking it into the ball of cake?  I used to have a similar issue until I started doing that

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 14

I make and sell cake pops only, not cakes.  I don't use a lot of frosting in mine because I don't like the texture if they are too "mushy".  I used to have this problem, and after I did a lot of research it seemed that the problem was with the oil in the actual cake.  I now make my cakes with half the oil the recipe calls for, and I now never have this problem.  Also, different flavors of cake seem to do this more than others.

qtrican Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 12:47am
post #13 of 14

ADonnawb, thanks for the info. I would have never thought about the oils in the cake. I will keep this in mind for my next batch.

Teezerts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teezerts Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:48am
post #14 of 14

I do not use any oil in my cakes for cake pops.  I use creamer, half and half, milk or cream cheese along with the eggs and flavoring.  I also had this problem when I first started to make them.  After I omitted the oil, I no longer had a problem!  Your cake pops are very cute

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%