Is Scratch Vs. Box The New Pricing?

Lounge By vgcea Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 3:41am by SystemMod1

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:44am
post #1 of 35

AI know pricing threads have dominated the forums for a minute to the chagrin of many. Please tell me Scratch vs Box Mix isn't the upcoming trend.

34 replies
jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:50am
post #2 of 35

AOh no, you planted the seed!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:54am
post #3 of 35

ALOL. This seed has been long planted and is thriving. Have you seen the threads lately? Ugh!

jennicake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:58am
post #4 of 35

ALol yeah. I've been silently lurking and staying out of it :p. I think the forum could use a "debate" section

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:13am
post #5 of 35

jennicake & vgcea,

Are both of you professional bakers, making a living with your cakes?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:05am
post #6 of 35

I don't understand why a member starts one of these instead of just posting on an existing thread. It seems counter productive. Not to mention irritating.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 35

AFrankly I had no idea so many professional bakers used mixes until I came to CC. The fact that so many of them are so successful doing it shocks me still.

I think it's like mommy wars. Both sides feel like the other diminishes their stance, it's like they're fighting to convince themselves almost. "If clients love box mix cakes so much, why should I bother continuing to do the work that scratch requires?" vs "Is box mix really cheating and should I be calling myself a pro if I don't bake from scratch?" I think it brings up a little doubt in all of us no matter what side we're on.

MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

jennicake & vgcea,

Are both of you professional bakers, making a living with your cakes?

The purpose for this thread seems to be a condescending disgust with the topics and commentary of current threads. Which means that the common rabble of the little people is droll and irritating to them.  And really, just who wants to share with just everyone, you know that special knowledge.

It occurred to me that if they are already highly skilled professional bakers in business for themselves then what need would they have to even subscribe to "CakeCentral.com".  What could possibly motivate them to continue to click on, and read threads that they HAVE seen before. Certainly they have better things to do than add their '2 cents' to so many threads.  Rather like Professional Sports athletes going to watch High School games and then being unhappy about it.  Illogical.

A business person making their living with Cakes & Pastries would understandably have a skill level far  beyond these petty little discussion.  Having viewed their photos I admire their artistry and applaud them.

Yet It also is a mystery that with so "Many People Chagrined" by the website repeated topics, HOW can there be over 800 unanswered threads?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 35

Uhhhh...wow

jennicake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

The purpose for this thread seems to be a condescending disgust with the topics and commentary of current threads. Which means that the common rabble of the little people is droll and irritating to them.  And really, just who wants to share with just everyone, you know that special knowledge.

It occurred to me that if they are already highly skilled professional bakers in business for themselves then what need would they have to even subscribe to "CakeCentral.com".  What could possibly motivate them to continue to click on, and read threads that they HAVE seen before. Certainly they have better things to do than add their '2 cents' to so many threads.  Rather like Professional Sports athletes going to watch High School games and then being unhappy about it.  Illogical.

A business person making their living with Cakes & Pastries would understandably have a skill level far  beyond these petty little discussion.  Having viewed their photos I admire their artistry and applaud them.

Yet It also is a mystery that with so "Many People Chagrined" by the website repeated topics, HOW can there be over 800 unanswered threads?

What the...

Since you so politely asked, no I am not a professional.  I can't speak for vgcea, but I'm "just" a hobby baker.  Does that change anything?

No one said anything about "common rabble of the little people" being droll or irritating.  Frankly, I would be one of the "little people".  All that was said is that the whole scratch-vs-boxed debate is a bit overwhelming lately.  I don't understand how or why that would be offensive to you or anyone else... especially how it could offend you so much to go off on that quite insulting rant.

Also, there are a great number of established, professional and successful bakers who are members of this forum.  

MimiFix Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 35

MB, you are very new here, so I think you have misinterpreted. Yes, there are many professionals here. But also many people new to baking and decorating. And each person has their own unique personality. We come to help and we come to enjoy the discussions and debates.

I love looking through the forums, but I find it difficult to read, keep track of, and respond to the threads that are basically similar.    

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 35

very nicely put Mimi

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 35

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

I don't understand why a member starts one of these instead of just posting on an existing thread. It seems counter productive. Not to mention irritating.

Why do they ask how much to charge? How to make a bow? How many cups of batter to fill a pan? No one thinks to Google anymore. Long live the Google.

AZCouture Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 35
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 35

AI love Google. My kids laughed at me the other day when my son asked me something and I said "Let me think..." as I reached for my iPad. I consider Google an extension of my brain!

MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:01pm
post #16 of 35

Thread Started by vcgea on  4/19/13

http://cakecentral.com/t/756707/is-it-just-me-or-has-the-caking-industry-always-been-this-saturated

Let me preface by saying that I love all the numerous AND affordable options out there; if they didn't exist I would be SOL trying to fork up the $$$$$ required for classes with the cakexperts. That said, everywhere I look there are 9,999 sites and individuals offering tutorials on just about every cake related thing you can imagine and how to turn caking into a business. From Michaels to Craftsy and similar sites to the facebook page owners who insist on clogging my homepage with the $2.99 quickie tutorials, everybody is geared toward putting out as much caking info as possible. No technique in caking is left a mystery. I noticed Craftsy even has a course for starting a cake business along with the 8,997 tutorials available. Has this always been the case and I'm just late to the party or is there indeed an increase and a consequent near-saturation of the market/webmosphere with every cake tip and tutorial imaginable? Makes me want to ask, so why does the customer need me if theres a DIY for everything easily accessible? Of course my rational mind can come up with tangible reasons but I'm ignoring lil' Ms. Rational this morning.

A part of me loves that I can access legendary folks like Nicholas Lodge for $19.99, another part of me is totally bummed that I can access legendary folks like Nicholas Lodge for $19.99 because it means half the population of the United States and a third of China can too! It chips away at the awesomeness some. I think it's something about accessibility and perceived value or maybe I'm just a naughty cake-toddler who doesn't want to share LOLOLOL!!!!

I'm feeling very ambivalent this morning (lack of sleep might be it too) I love that all the info is out there, and I hate that all the info is out there. Kinda like a sorority with no secrets; totally zaps the awesomeness factor. 

EDIT: In the end, I think this is more of a rant than anything. Probably should get some sleep.

Edited by vgcea - 4/9/13 at 7:07am

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thread started by jennicake on 7/1/09

http://cakecentral.com/t/639503/help-wedding-cake-tier-sizes

I'm officially doing my first wedding cake this weekend and am about to start baking tonight, but I have a question about tier sizes.

This will be a stacked, square cake... would a 8/10/12 cake look alright, or would it be better to go 8/12/16? I'm not sure if 8/10/12 would look off...

Thanks in advance! I'm going to try ganache under fondant for this one too... some of the posts on here have me itching to try it lol. Wish me luck =o)

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Mimifix,

They were understood perfectly well.   Being new to CC is not being new to life.  By Researching their personal pages, and reading their own many commentaries and requests for help, along with the threads that they started, no misunderstanding has occurred. No misunderstanding was possible.

When you say "we", I kinda think that you really mean You and thousands of other good hearted souls who have nothing but excellent intentions.

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 35

I remember when I was a kid and asked how to spell something my parents would say "go look it up". When I was coming up in the Navy and asked a senior tech a question he would point me to the pub library. That's how you learn. I am a Google fanatic. It is a wonderful resource.

MimiFix Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 35

Oh my, AZ, how did you do that?

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 35

Sorry Alaska but I'm not sure I'm getting the point you are trying to make. And it makes it really hard to read and follow with all of the font and color changes. Could you please explain calmly what it is that is bothering you?

jennicake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 35

MBalaska... I'm not sure why you first insinuated I was disgusted and being condescending, and then went on to point out that I have asked for a lot of help on this forum.  The fact that I ask for help should prove that I have absolutely nothing to be condescending for.  

I still don't get what you are so offended about, but it obviously seems like I have done or said something that bothered you along the way.  If that is the case, I do apologize.  I do not come here to irritate people.  I come here to learn and to share things I have learned myself.  Nothing more.  

AZCouture Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 35

AAbout the widely available knowledge about this business that anyone can pick up on...why isn't pricing and good business practices related tutorials, and articles JUST as appealing? Cause that's way more important than learning how to make ruffles.

And for the record, may I say that the growing number of molds and cutters are the beginning of the death of creativity. I'm making it my mission to make nothing that I can't shape with my own two hands or paint, from here on out. Ignore my use of edible images on an upcoming cake however. My hypocrisy will be the death of me.

Don't mind me, I'm possibly being a goober.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:29pm
post #22 of 35

AI agree AZ. Ethics courses should be like a prerequisite for some things.

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:34pm
post #23 of 35

So it is unethical to use available tools? I am not quite sure I follow that line of reasoning Pam.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

http://bit.ly/1c8BipP icon_razz.gif

That was brilliant, totally made my day! I'm going to start using that for everything, haha.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #25 of 35

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

So it is unethical to use available tools? I am not quite sure I follow that line of reasoning Pam.

I think Pam was referring to AZ's comments about good business practices.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:44pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I believe she was referring to this portion of AZ's post...

"About the widely available knowledge about this business that anyone can pick up on...why isn't pricing and good business practices related tutorials, and articles JUST as appealing? Cause that's way more important than learning how to make ruffles."

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:55pm
post #27 of 35

AThank you As you wish & Scrumdiddly. That is what I was referring to. How anyone could think that I said using available tools to learn a craft is unethical, is beyond me.

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:57pm
post #28 of 35

Thank you for clearing that up thumbs_up.gifI've been known to be a numbskull sometimes..lol

MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 9:01pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
......Sorry Alaska but I'm not sure I'm getting the point you are trying to make........

That's quite alright. BTW the square corners on your cake are sheer perfection. So well done that no border shells are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

......I come here to learn and to share things I have learned myself....

Best Wishes to you, and I compliment you on your beautiful cakes. You have obvious talent and your customers must be delighted.

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 9:04pm
post #30 of 35

Thank you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%