Learning Gum Paste Techniques

Decorating By PurplePetunia Updated 19 Mar 2005 , 5:06am by PurplePetunia

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:07am
post #1 of 14

My Michael's offers gum paste courses. They are 4 weeks long just like the Wilton 1,2 &3 courses. I did those last year, but now I'm not able to make it on the nights that they are offering the gum paste courses.
I was thinking about buying the kit for the course (book, tools and cutters) and trying to learn it myself.
Is this a good idea?? Is gumpaste something I can learn by myself from a book or do I need someone to show it to me?
icon_confused.gif

13 replies
Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 8:40am
post #2 of 14

Very good question and I would like to know the answer as well. I recently bought the kit to try and learn it by myself but was waiting on stamens I ordered through Wilton.com. The stamens should arrive tomorrow, so I am anxious to get started. I'll try it on my own and see what happens. What's the worst thing that could happen? Maybe spending $19.99 on the kit and then having to throw away the flowers? Also, can anyone tell me if the gumpaste flowers are edible? Thanks

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 14

I want to learn Gum paste too, but I am so "scared" I know its ridiculous to be but I am. I think its because my confidence level is low, which is why i cant wait to get back to the states, and take a couple of classes.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 14

They are supposed to be edible, but since they dry pretty rock hard, it's something you may not want to eat.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 14

so, what do you tell people when using gumpaste? not to eat it. i've used fondant and royal icing and neither one taste good to me. is gumpaste the same thing, just for decoration?

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 4:48am
post #6 of 14

Yes, I think you can learn gumpaste flowers from the Wilton book on how to make gumpaste flowers. I spent about 8 hrs learning this past week. Of course, I started with one of the trickiest flowers to do - orchids. I had difficulty with them breaking before I could glue them together and needed to use meringue powder glue (mixed with water 1:1 proportion) to attach pieces. I think this is just going to take practice, though. I think now that I need to start with lesson 1 and learn it step by step as I would be in a class. BUT - I got one really nice orchid done.

I put the orchid on a cake frosted with ganache and found out that was a bad idea, as it started breaking down the next day. When I moved the orchid off to save it for another cake, it fell apart in my hands. It was soggy underneath. I decided to try it and see how it tasted.. It was pretty bad - very sweet, but the texture was basically hard and chewy, not very pleasant.

diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 14

can you get this kit at wilton.com?

m0use Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 14
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 14

oh boy mouse! icon_eek.gif you just caused me to buy another decorating item!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif i can not wait to get this! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

m0use Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 14

I hope you have more time to use it than I have. I bought it about 2 years ago and I have yet to use it icon_rolleyes.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 14

I taught myself

I could not for the life of me make a buttercream or royal icing rose I thought they looked like cabbages so I figured out how to make gumpaste and candy clay roses.....I do not make most of my flowers exactly like some of the books say but who cares? it is how they look when you are done that counts

I hae the wilton kit but really only use a few pieces the large rose petal, the small round petal flower and the wood dowel tool which I know make my own. But it was a good starting point

just get in there and play

as for me I could never get a job in a bakery as I can not pipe a good rose but my roses are great for those who want to pay the cost !

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 2:06am
post #12 of 14

I took the gum paste course and thought it was quite good. Although the instructor only taught us how to make roses and orchids, if you can master these two, I think all the rest would be quite easy. I also bought the Gum Paste book after the course, but the instructions from the book are kinda different from those of our wilton gum paste instructor (the instructor was more detailed). Most books and websites said gum paste roses are more realistic than fondant roses, but I think the difference is really very little. Gum paste doesn't fade like fondant though.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 3:05am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey4

My Michael's offers gum paste courses. They are 4 weeks long just like the Wilton 1,2 &3 courses. I did those last year, but now I'm not able to make it on the nights that they are offering the gum paste courses.
I was thinking about buying the kit for the course (book, tools and cutters) and trying to learn it myself.
Is this a good idea?? Is gumpaste something I can learn by myself from a book or do I need someone to show it to me?
icon_confused.gif

There is a good handful of articles with step by steps on how to do things with gum paste ... They are in this area there may be something that your able to get from here too.. http://www.ladycakes.com/sugarcraftarticlesby/sugarcraft_article's.htm

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 5:06am
post #14 of 14

Thanks Ladycakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%