How Do I Do This?

Decorating By morganchampagne Updated 6 Aug 2013 , 11:37am by manddi

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 8

AI've been a buttercream only decorator for a while, but I've been practicing in my spare time with some fondant techniques. I really don't know what these are called. I've searched for fondant petals and gumpaste petals but nothing has come up that explains how this goes. From what I gather you roll gumpaste..use a circle cutter....use a ball tool to curl it up. So my questions:

How thin to roll the gumpaste?

I bought a foam pad set is had 3 pieces in it. A sponge one, and then two others. Which do I use or what combination do I use?

Here's the pic: [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3072158/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

7 replies
morganchampagne Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 8

AI should add that I did not actually use gumpaste. I used a mixture of 1 tsp of tylose per 250g of MMF. The "ruffling" did not hold up the way I thought it should have

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 3:06am
post #3 of 8

I've never used MMF but I like a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. This is going to sound weird but roll it as thin as you can get it and then roll it even thinner.

1. Roll it out as thin as you can get it with a small rolling pin.

2. Cut out your shape.

3. Put it on whichever piece of your foam set is thin and firm (ish).

4. Roll it again with a small stick, a lollipop or treat stick will work if you don't have a wooden one.

5. Ruffle the petals with a ball tool.

Hope this helps and makes sense!

morganchampagne Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 3:12am
post #4 of 8

ASo the key is to roll it super thin..Thank you!!! I will try these steps. I made some gumpaste earlier today. This is just for a dummy cake, just Trying to add some more things to my portfolio. So I have plenty of time to try things

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:23am
post #5 of 8

I usually use my thin foam when using the ball tool. I would roll it thin. Does it have to be all white? The ridges would look amazing with a little color in them. Either luster dust or thinned food coloring.

morganchampagne Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:12am
post #6 of 8

AIt's not for an actual customer it's just for my portfolio and a local paper is featuring me and wants me to make a cake. I have 2 months so I'm doing a test run. I could do the white gumpaste and use a Pale pink luster dust. Or maybe a gold. Hmm..

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:29am
post #7 of 8

For those of you have decorated this way, how long does it take?  I know the size of the cake layers factor into that, but this beautiful decoration seems like it would be very time consuming.

What would approximately be the time involved for a 2 layer 8" cake?

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:37am
post #8 of 8

A

Original message sent by darkchocolate

For those of you have decorated this way, how long does it take?  I know the size of the cake layers factor into that, but this beautiful decoration seems like it would be very time consuming.

What would approximately be the time involved for a 2 layer 8" cake?

Somewhere between thirty minutes and thirty hours ;)

It depends on how fast you work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%