Nauz Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 6:05pm

I couldn't find plexisheet near my craft stores so I end up buying a plastic bendable chopping board from walmart which comes in 4 different colors. This can be cut in any different sizes. Do u think that would work for sharp edges on cake? Please help?

11 replies
shanter Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 10:15pm

Since you've already bought them, they will probably work fine. I would have gone to the hardware store and bought a wide taping (drywall) knife.

Nauz Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:25pm

I went to home depot & didn't find one :(

cupadeecakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:04pm

Is this for smoothing icing?  If so, have you tried a bench scraper?  If not, what's a plexisheet?

therealmrsriley Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:22pm

You're using the plexisheet for the upside down method, right? I went to home depot and bought a nice sized inexpensive sheet of glass to try it out. Might be worth looking into next time...

remnant3333 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:27pm

I use poster board cut to the size I need. I saw that on Buddy Valastro. Works great for me!!! I no longer need to use the viva paper towel anymore because the poster board gets it very smooth!!!

shanter Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 10:59pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

Is this for smoothing icing?  If so, have you tried a bench scraper?  If not, what's a plexisheet?

Bench scrapers are often not wide enough to smooth the entire side of a cake. The drywall taping knife has a handle and comes wide - like 12 inches or more.

AZCouture Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:00pm

Fat Girl Cakes sells taller bench scrapers, safe for food use. Just google, you'll find her.

shanter Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Fat Girl Cakes sells taller bench scrapers, safe for food use. Just google, you'll find her.

Thanks, AZ. Good to know.

Nauz Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:22am

I bought plexiglass thick plastic sheet from home depot for upside down technique.. you are right..!!  about $5.  But Here I am asking for plexi thin plastic which use to smooth the fondant & make nice edges on fondant cake.

nutcase68 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 12:05am

Go to the paint dept in home depot and get a paint edger.  It is about 12" long and is about 4" wide.  I use mine for smoothing icing.  While you are in the paint dept. pick up the longest sponge roller on a frame that they have.  After your buttercream crusts you roll this on it to smooth it out.  I swear by that thing.

Nauz Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 11:27pm

Thank you so much :)

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%