Painting With Food Colouring?

Decorating By Jenna1588 Updated 23 Mar 2014 , 7:51pm by StephSugarcraft

Jenna1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna1588 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I know it tastes absolutely rancid before anyone says anything but can you paint with it? I've made some sunflowers, 6, already dyed the flower paste yellow but I know from previous experience that dying fondant/pastes is a pain in the ass, so would you advise painting the small bit of the middle with food colouring? Its just for decoration purpose mainly? Thought please :)

7 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 8

AI do it all the time, it's totally fine.

There's also a free craftsy class on painting cakes that you might like.

Jenna1588 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 8

AThat sounds interesting? Thanks

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8

AI recommend the class as well, there's also a few videos on YouTube if you wanted to get the general idea...

Basically. You take the food coloring and add in a little vodka to get the right consistency. You can use lemon extract in place of vodka. The alcohol makes it dry faster and there's no taste/smell of vodka left behind.

Jenna1588 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 8

I wanted to do it with black, but I've just realised Ive got an edible pen!

Thanks anyway :)

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

I painted some cupcake toppers with black gel colors diluted with vodka and it didn't taste bad at all! You can check them out in my gallery if you want (cupcakes with pink hearts with black "old writing")! :)

Jenna1588 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, they are fab! Thank you :)

StephSugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephSugarcraft Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 8

You can paint with food colour and it shouldn't flavour it too much, I tend to use a paste colours with a little vodka to let it down, it evaporates quickly leaving no flavour. Otherwise for sugar flowers why not try Sugarflair blossom dusts or one of the other brands to try brush on, it creates multiple tones to make your flowers look really realistic and it won't give you a patchy finish like paint can do :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%