How Do I Layer Two Colors Of Fondant?

Decorating By lydiejo8 Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 9:44pm by kakeladi

lydiejo8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lydiejo8 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:15am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone,

I am definitely a novice cake decorator. I was recently asked to create a Disney Planes cake, but there are several different colors on the plane, Dusty. I have never done anything so intricate before, so I need your help. How do I get only one color on the top half and another color on the bottom? Meaning, how do I only get the top half orange? Do I cover the entire cake with the fondant and then cut if off? I use the mat, so any instructions with that will be a bonus :) I figured for the blue stripe I could just do a fondant strip with some tylose in it. Just let me know, Thanks!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:42am
post #2 of 4

There are a coulpe of way to do it. 

1) cover the whole cake w/what you want on the *bottom* of the plane, using a bit thinner layer of fondant than you usually would, then cover w/a thinner layer of fondant of the next color.  For that blue strip in the center - I'd just cut it out and 'paste' it over the others. You don't need to add tylose - it stiffend/hardens the fondant which you really don't want. 

2) cut each of the 3 colors & seperately apply them to the cake.  I find this way much harder to get good straight lines.  

lydiejo8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lydiejo8 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I just figured I would add tylose so it wouldn't stretch as I added it to the cake. Any ideas for that? do I cut the strip and let it set for a while before adding it? Also how do I cut the second layer of fondant so that it doesn't cut the bottom layer? I definitely agree with you. The first way sounds a lot easier than cutting seperate pieces! Thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 4

........figured I would add tylose so it wouldn't stretch...... do I cut the strip and let it set for a while before adding it? ... how ..to.. cut the second layer of fondant so that it doesn't cut the bottom layer?........

I guess you could add a bit of tylose but I would just let it sit after cutting just enough to firm it up.  Too long and it might crack when you handle it:(  When layering, you have to roll/cut the top layer so it is just as big/long as you need.  You can do some minor cutting by holding it away from the bottom layer just enough while cutting, then lightly push it into shape.  I haven't worked that much w/dbl layering but that's what I'd do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%