I Have Decorators' Block!

Decorating By Elcee Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 4:12am by bct806

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, all! My creative juices just aren't flowing at the moment. Each year, I make something cute and fun for my coworkers as a "Happy First Day of School" gift. I go in early and leave it on their desks so they find it when they come in. Since I started doing it, I haven't repeated but I'm stumped this year for something new. So far I've done:

Sunflower cupcakes

Apple cookies

Apple cupcakes (the ones from Hello Cupcake with the mini donut on top--big hit)

Chalkboard cookies (my personal favorite)

It needs to be fairly easy, since I'm slammed myself at work this week (school starts on Thursday). It needs to be done in the evening when I'm tired so precise piping is out.

If I have to repeat, I'm leaning towards either apple cookies on a stick (they weren't on a stick last time and I'd use flooded RI this time; fondant before) or cupcakes that are a flower other than a sunflower. Or maybe letter and number cookies...A B Cs for English & Social Studies teachers, 1 2 3 for math teachers, one of the periodic table of elements for Science...

Any other ideas?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 9

AI did back to school cupcakes for a group of teachers last year that had a tiny fondant apple and a couple of fondant books on each one. They loved them! Books are really easy to make. Just start with a white rectangle of fondant to be the pages, roll out a colour of your choice and cut it into a rectangle the appropriate size to be the cover to your pages and wrap it around them. Ta da! Book! You could use edible marker to write "math", "science", etc. on them.

Elcee Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, that's a good idea! I've made books before. I could do a book, an apple, a ruler on each cupcake. All of those are pretty simple and I could whip them up tonight!

Thanks!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

AYou're so welcome! :)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 9

Nothing simpler than a lunch box (the old fashioned tin ones that had Roy Rogers on them or Spider man.  Square 3" cake with a handle on the front and clasp.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 9

AGo do a search on pinterest for "back to school teacher gifts" I found tons of cute ideas

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 9

I made these cookies a few years ago, maybe something similar could work if you need to get it done quickly and without too much effort! 

(soory for the poor photo, I wasn't very interested in photography back then! ;)

Elcee Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:13am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone!

DeniseNH, I love that idea! I have the Wilton [an that bakes little squares, too, and I've never used it.

Bikemom3, thanks. My school is a small "alternative" high school with a small staff. We've been through the trenches together and we're a close-knit team. I like taking care of them when I can icon_smile.gif. Most of what came up in my searches I've either already done or were too complicated for the time I have.

tarttokig, those are great! Totally like!

Lots of ideas now for next year. I've made 2 dozen each of itty bitty fondant books, rulers, and apples. Tomorrow night all I need to do is give the apples their stems and leaves and put some edible marker details on the books and the rulers. Thanks again, as you wish. I'm having fun! I really like making little pieces. I think I'll make cookies and milk cupcakes for them!

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:12am
post #9 of 9

I love the apple, book, and ruler idea. So cute. I wish someone had done that for me when I was teaching. Then again I was the baker so I guess it makes sense. Anything that can make the first day a little brighter is always welcome! That is so nice of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%