Home Made Fondant

Decorating By onyx Updated 4 Aug 2013 , 3:22am by MBalaska

onyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onyx Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 12:58am
post #1 of 4

AHi Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before but a need an answer asap and dont have time to read through the forums. I made some fondant back in may or april I think about 3 months ago. I have wrapped it in cling wrap and it has been in tuppaware containers on to of my fridge since. I have played with some since. some have colours in it and some have cmc mixed in. I guess my question is would any of it still be good. How long as a general rule does home made fondant last? Thanks

3 replies
darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 1:33am
post #2 of 4

Yes, it is still good. I would have no problem using it.  I might make fresh to cover a cake, Just because I rarely cover cakes in fondant and I want to make sure I personally can get the best coverage.  But I use older fondant for decorations.  Especially if I already have that color made or I have some white leftover and I only need a little bit of a new color.

If it is hard, just microwave it for a few seconds until it is soft enough to start kneading and more pliable.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 1:36am
post #3 of 4

I use the general rule of trying to keep in mind when the marshmallow expire.  Just because I think fresher marshmallows taste better.  You could always taste the fondant first.  Other than the marshmallows, there isn't anything that really expires.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 3:22am
post #4 of 4

I agree that the taste would tell you if it is not up to your personal standards. Taste test and decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%