Preparing A Mousse Cake 2-3 Days Ahead?

Decorating By fribolinho Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 10:27pm by Stitches

fribolinho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fribolinho Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 2

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum, I hope I can learn some new tricks from here and of course help other members, too.

I have a question regarding the preparation of a cake. In the next few weeks I might have to whip up a cake that makes a lasting impression in a matter of 1-2 hours - sounds quite impossible, I know. Still, I think with the right plan and the right preparations it could be possible.

The plan is to keep it simple but make it look nice icon_smile.gif My idea is to make a two-mousse cake with a sponge base.

Do you think it's possible to pre-bake the base and put it in the fridge for 2-3 days, then just soak it with syrup before its used?

How would you do that with the mousse? I don' think its possible to just keep it in an airtight container and then spread it out when needed because of the gelatin in it?

Or do you even think its possible to keep a finished cake like this for 2-3 days in the fridge without problems? I mean, a wet sponge base isn't the worst thing in the world...

Here is a picture of the type of cake I want to make: http://www.wowfactordesserts.com/portals/95/product_images/1000_res/chocolate_raspberry_mousse_single.jpg

Best

1 reply
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 2

That type of cake/torte/dessert can be made a month in advance and held in your freezer completely done. The mirror glaze topping goes on after it's defrosted in the cooler. I've made zillions of these over 25 years as a pastry chef.

Mousse that contains gelatin is very freezer stable! Once the mousse is frozen it's very easy to move around. Unfrozen mousse can be moved, but that will totally depend upon how much gelatin it contains. Too much gelatin will not make an impressive dessert.

Make them as individually sized desserts and not a large torte so it defrosts with-in 2 hr.'s in the cooler. Your good to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%