I've made modelling chocolate using Wilton candy melts with a recipe that I have used before so I am happy that it works. I left it in Saran Wrap on the counter overnight as I usually do, and went to knead a bit and noticed that there seem to be lumps of candy melts in - I think maybe they weren't melted quite enough before I mixed in the glucose syrup.
If I put in in the microwave for like 10 seconds or something will this ruin it? Or could I rely on the heat of my hands to soften the lumps if I knead it more?
Any help and advice is REALLY appreciated!
I have done that and could never get the lumps out
Try kneading it by hand to see if you can work the lumps in. If it doesn't work, you can try to zap it in the microwave for just a few second at a time to try to remelt the chocolate. After you microwave it and start to knead it, it may get greasy bc the chocolate is separating, just keep kneading it until it is reabsorbed. If you still have big lumps, you'll have to go through and pick them out.
AThanks so much shall give it a go! Eeeeek!
use a ceramic type of bowl to melt the chocolate in. The ceramic holds heat, you can go slowly in your melting process by heating the choc, take it out, let it sit for half a minute - then gently stir with a silicone spatula.
take your time, the warmth of the ceramic bowl will allow the chocolate to continue to melt, without overheating. chocolate has a very low melting point, so it does not take a lot of heat to melt it, but it melts slowly.
You may also make it melt better by chopping the chocolate into smaller pieces before you start. It only takes a minute to do this, and the results will be a smooth melted bowl of chocolate every time. (although I prefer to use Merkens confectioners chocolate discs or real chocolate)
I've salvaged lumpy modelling chocolate by slowly re-melting the entire mass in the microwave, very gently re-mixing it, and then allowing it to re-cool, uncovered on plastic wrap on the counter.
I always use a plastic, microwave safe bowl because glass can get hot spots & scorch the product. I melt on 50% power in 30 second bursts, moving it around/stirring in between.
Hey just wanted to say thanks for all the advice! I melted it for about 10 seconds in the microwave and it really greasy, so kept kneading it and cooling my hands under cold water to help and eventually it came back together. Then I left it overnight on the counter wrapped up, and kneaded it again and now it is perfect! Thank you all so much!
That's good to know! I threw mine out when that happened...
Definitely worth persevering! It became REALLY oily, which I was panicked about! But I carried on kneading like SIxinarow said and it eventually came round!
Yay!!! Glad you saved it!!