New And Wondering How Much Would You Charge This Cake ?

Business By SugarandCandy Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 11:15am by SugarandCandy

SugarandCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandCandy Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 2:17am
post #1 of 11

AHi, Just considering starting inthe cake decorating business and would like to know how much you would charge this cake. ? Its is a 12x11 sheet choc and vanilla cake, with choc ganache filling. I made it for a friend but if I was to do this for more than a hobby how much would this cake be sold for ? I read somewhere a sheet 12x11 feeds aprox 56 pp. curious to get some feed back :))

Thanks in advance !!!!

10 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #3 of 11

ten dollarsicon_wink.gif

Oh wait.... you are shocked?   no I am not being nasty (no reflection on your cake) just showing you that what OTHER people think.... means jacksh*t

Figure out how much it cost YOU - everything!!

Figure out what you gave up (time wise) to make it ... yep time with your family - crappy dinners, SLEEP!

and then work out what YOU need - to make ALL of that worth it   (it is different for everybody)

These "how much would you charge' posts  don't give you ANY useful information at all

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:05am
post #4 of 11

Sheet cake servings can be tricky.  If the cake is 2" tall, then you cake will feed 30, before trimming.  If your cake is 4" tall, then it will feed 60 before trimming.  12 X 11 is a really odd size, though.  8 cubic inches of cake is the standard serving.

And yes, we don't know your costs, so we can't tell you what to charge.  And I just don't do sheet cakes.

SugarandCandy Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:36am
post #5 of 11

AThanks for the info; what is a good hourly rate do you think ? $20 a hr then all materials on top what's average going rate. It's tricky industry to calculate pricing I see.

ApplegumPam Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:03am
post #6 of 11

I think the first thing you need to do is ask yourself if you have a 'saleable' product

Do you think you have something that stands out from the crowd?   something that people would WANT to pay top dollar for

I could spend 12 hours making a cake and nominate that I want $20 per hour - but I might not be able to product anything that people may choose to buy??

Not a reflection of your work but THIS is a reality in this 'over saturated' market. 

Mediocre decoraters are a dime a dozen these days - add to this the number of good decoraters that are prepared to work for chicken scraps and we are left with a small slice of the market.

To survive in that market you need be be really good at what you do..............   OR  join those that work for scraps

SugarandCandy Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:07am
post #7 of 11

AYes I see, thanks I like you honesty and advise! I think the same thing there are so many cake decorators out there just even looking at this web site. Was thinking about the possibility I am in Australia not USA and people see my cakes and always say you should sell them. So was just contemplating the idea. Thanks

ApplegumPam Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #8 of 11

I am also in Australia - and I know what you mean

The thing you need to thimk about is ....  people do love cakes and yes, they will quite often remark that you should sell them

You should get into the habit of saying..... so - HOW MUCH would you be prepared to pay me to make this for you?

I can guarantee your illusion of doing cakes for a living will be shattered in ... probably the first 6 answers.  It will probably shock you into reality :)

Its only in semi retirement that I have been able to do 'just cakes'

I have always been able to earn SO MUCH more from other careers than cakes

Fun to make - but by the time you pay registrations fees, insurances, re-modelling for council approval, equipment, classes (to hone your skills and improve) - you have a pretty hefty investment to recoup - especially hard these days when there is a cake decorater on every street corner, all pumped and rearing to do it cheaper than the next,

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 5:32am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 
The thing you need to think about is ....  people do love cakes and yes, they will quite often remark that you should sell them

You should get into the habit of saying..... so - HOW MUCH would you be prepared to pay me to make this for you?

I can guarantee your illusion of doing cakes for a living will be shattered in ... probably the first 6 answers.   It will probably shock you into reality :)

You nailed it, ApplegumPam!   [All of my avid fans say I "should sell these fabulous cakes", but, of course, they mean to someone else, lol......  ]

Here's an excellent article about pricing.  Although it is intended for US bakers, it applies to Oz as well.

http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

ApplegumPam Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:18am
post #10 of 11

The only thing I would add to the link above is that in Australia our serving sizes are considerably smaller!!  so for goodness sake don't use the Earlene's charts LOL

Our industry standard size is 1inch x 1inch x height of the cake (normally 4inches)  - 4 cubic inches of cake is considered to be sufficient...... although our American counterparts who invented UPSIZING and food in monster portions always shake in horror thinking we are short-changing people   hahaha!

Still loads of fat Australians .......never fear !!   haha

SugarandCandy Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 11:15am
post #11 of 11

AHa ha ha that is good. I thought most people where American on this site nice to know there are some Aussies :)) Yes people often remark but when it come to $$$ things change. I wouldn't do this as a job just on the side maybe. Probably not but maybe. Congrats on being able to take a passion and turn it into a job you love applegumpam!!! Not many people in life manage to turn a passion into a income. Thanks for all the sound advise ladies, Very much appreciated once again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%