Want To Try Quilling

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm by Smckinney07

dawnybird Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

I love the look of quilling and I gave it a try once but my fondant/gumpaste wouldn't stand up on its edge and wanted to flop over. I tried with straight gumpaste and it wanted to crack when I bent it into shape. I know there must be a happy medium somewhere but I can't seem to get it. It looks so simple yet I can't do it. That frustrates me and just makes me want to all the more! Any helpful advice from someone who has done it successfully? Thanks for any suggestions.

4 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

I would use fondant with some tylose mixed in. Make sure to keep the strips your not using covered with a piece of vinyl because it will dry out quickly.

dawnybird Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for the link! Have you done quilling? Anyone else done it successfully?

maybenot Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, I've done quilling successfully. 

I prefer to use Platinum Paste (you can google it for sources), as it can be rolled very, very thin and a little of the pricey paste goes a very long way.

For non-competition work, I mix 50/50 gum paste & fondant and run lengths of it thru my KA pasta attachment to about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.  I keep it well covered before cutting and then I allow pieces to dry in shapes until I need them.

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5

APlatinum paste sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out. I've done it a couple times. Just keep the pieces covered like maybe and I suggested and pull them out one or two at a time so they won't dry out before you can manipulate them. Either 50/50 or Fondant with tylose (typically what I use).

Quote by @%username% on %date%