Cake Ball Wedding Cake Assembly Help, Please

Decorating By TotallyBaked Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 2:49pm by scwright

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 4:56am
post #1 of 3

ASo, this isn't my first cake ball cake, but it is my first one I've done using RKT instead of WASC, and I'm traveling 100 miles for delivery, so I have a few questions...

1.Should I use short pop sticks or toothpicks? I used toothpicks previously, and I think I remember wishing I had used something sturdier, but then again, it was cake and this will be RKT which is sturdier.

2.If I use sticks, should I dip and dry the pops on the sticks, or stick the sticks into the rkt and pop the ball (dried on parchment) on last?

3. Do you think I should put all the balls on each tier, travel, and then assemble the tiers, or carry the balls separate with me and stick them on once I'm at the venue?

Thanks so much for the advice in advance (((:

2 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 3

ASo your making a cake out of RKT, covering it and adding cake balls to it? Are you using RKT because that's what they want to eat or because they just want something to stick the cake balls to? If that's the case I'd use styrofoam cake dummies instead.

I would think the sticks would be easier for serving and I'd definitely attach them when you get to the site not before. I'd take a sharpened skewer to start your initial holes, I'm still stuck on the RKT cake, I think it will be so hard to get them in and out of. You know what I mean? I've never had a request like this though. I've made a cake pop tree with a cone of styrofoam, I rolled it with tissue paper of the same color as the cake pops (I saw this on a tutorial somewhere). I don't make many cake pops, simply because I hate rolling them all out!

Hopefully someone with more insight will weigh in. So, I just re-read that, are the balls going to be made of RKT or your base?

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 3

I think the toothpicks would be fine for RKT vs cake which needs a little more support. You could also try using the very skinny wood dowels which are a lil thicker and longer than toothpicks and then you could cut down to the size you need. I don't know if you want to spend all that time fully assembling at the venue but it may be easier if you just assemble each tier with balls, transport in boxes and have a box of extra balls on hand in case you need them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%