Wedding Cake For Niece...10 Hr Drive?

Decorating By lcubed83 Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 4:33am by lcubed83

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking ahead and making plans.  I want to bake and freeze cakes before traveling, then am getting a suites hotel room there to have room to decorate not at the house (wedding is on family farm.)

Should I transport naked tiers in cooler with dry ice?  I would need to leave on Wed to have Thurs to fondant.

Could I crumb coat and fondant before, then transport in cooler with dry ice?  I could work at home on Wed, then travel Thurs. Less stuff to transport!

Either way, have Friday to finish up for Saturday wedding.

I plan to have all decorations cut and ready, so all I really have to do there is decorate and stack.  If I could fondant ahead, that would be perfect.

Driving, so space is not an issue.  Thanks for any input!

7 replies
MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 8

I have a similar situation coming up for Labor Day weekend.  I'm not driving 10 hours, only 3, but still.  I would prefer to only transport the naked cakes.  Crumb coating doesn't take me very long, and I would be worried about thawing fondant.  I guess with dry ice it wouldn't be so bad but I still don't want to risk any condensation with the fondant. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 8

What weather will you be having at the time? Why do you think you need to have them in a cooler? Non-perishable cakes and fillings will travel fine at cool room temperature - if it's slightly warm outside you will likely be travelling with the AC on anyway. I would get as much done at home as possible, so really all you have to do is stack and finish decorating when you get to your destination. 

I personally have done a few 6 hour trips with a tiered cake stacked in the car using SPS. I'm pretty sure another 4 hours wouldn't have killed them. I would at least get the fondant on at home, if I were you, less nerve wracking.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 8

I'm planning a cake for a friend next spring. She's in MO and I'm in CA. I've considered all the options and I think I'm going to go with a ganached and fondanted cake, which I will pack and ship overnight OR carry onto the plane in small boxes.  I cannot see myself frosting a cake in a hotel room. RLB tells a story of how she baked assembled and decorated her brother's wedding cake for shipping (in a special box) from NYC to San Fran. I figure if she can do it, so can I. Her cake had IMBC. I'm not that brave. 

jen

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I'm planning a cake for a friend next spring. She's in MO and I'm in CA. I've considered all the options and I think I'm going to go with a ganached and fondanted cake, which I will pack and ship overnight OR carry onto the plane in small boxes.  I cannot see myself frosting a cake in a hotel room. RLB tells a story of how she baked assembled and decorated her brother's wedding cake for shipping (in a special box) from NYC to San Fran. I figure if she can do it, so can I. Her cake had IMBC. I'm not that brave. 

jen

Didn't one of those stories end with the flight crew eating the cake? I only remember one, and it didn't end well.icon_lol.gif

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:29am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Didn't one of those stories end with the flight crew eating the cake? I only remember one, and it didn't end well.icon_lol.gif

that's the one!

lcubed83 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:33am
post #7 of 8

Thank you, everyone!  the wedding is May 3 next year, so not the hottest time of year!  I would certainly love to apply fondant in my own kitchen, and that's less supplies that would need to travel.  I'm encouraged that there is support for that plan.

lcubed83 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:33am
post #8 of 8

Thank you, everyone!  the wedding is May 3 next year, so not the hottest time of year!  I would certainly love to apply fondant in my own kitchen, and that's less supplies that would need to travel.  I'm encouraged that there is support for that plan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%