Help Did I Undercharge? Help With Timeline First Time Selling Cakee And Due Aug 3

Decorating By cuppycakez Updated 22 Jun 2018 , 12:32pm by -K8memphis

cuppycakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #31 of 69

AThank you yes i made the shoes monday also the flowers . Thanks for the advice i feel better. I just saw that some ppl did the cakes little by little thru the week it was due and when i made a 3 tier cake for my lil sisters bday party. I just baked the cake friday and finished sat. When the party was. So i was like wait am i supposted bake wensday fill and coat thursday and deco friday then keep in fridge overnight ?. So i was like i think im doing it wrong lol

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:50pm
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycakez 

Thank you. sorry i meant like do i need it to be refriderated before i put the fondant when it only has the crumbcoat or as soon as i crumbcoat do i need to put thw fondant im sorry if my questions are stupid i just dont want to mess up and im nervous. And i dont know.what the hell i was thinking i just thought if i had a vheap price with my first couple cakes i can get more custumers or idk im embarresed :/

This is the post that gave me the impression you had never worked with fondant.

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:50pm
post #33 of 69

AAnd thank so much for thoes of u that uderstand. And i am not using hevy wippung cream anymore so thanks

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #34 of 69

AYea i can see why. I have its just when i did like i said i didnt have it sitting for a while cuz almost immidietly we ate it so i didnt get to see if it started sinking or whatever because i did not refridge it after filling and coating. Sorry for the misunderstanding

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:04pm
post #35 of 69

My timeline is bake all cakes on Wednesday, wrap tight and freeze.  Make all fillings and buttercream on Thursday and fill and crumb coat all cakes as well.  On Friday, I cover cakes in fondant and do as much decorating as possible (I normally have 4-5 cakes each weekend) and then finish anything on Saturday morning.  If I have anything that needs to be hard like flowers, shoes, edible toppers etc... I will make those usually Monday-Wednesday.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:06pm
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycakez 

Thank you yes i made the shoes monday also the flowers . Thanks for the advice i feel better. I just saw that some ppl did the cakes little by little thru the week it was due and when i made a 3 tier cake for my lil sisters bday party. I just baked the cake friday and finished sat. When the party was. So i was like wait am i supposted bake wensday fill and coat thursday and deco friday then keep in fridge overnight ?. So i was like i think im doing it wrong lol

Nope, I dont think you're doing it wrong.  Different timelines work for different people.  I've done the "bake on fri, finish on sat" thing before and it stressed me out like crazy!  And destroyed my kitchen.  Which upset my hubby... and stressed me out more lol.  All sorts of not-fun things.  It makes things easier if you bake one day, fill the next day then decorate on the third day which is why a lot of people do it that way.  But when doing that, you really need to use a non-perishable filling because the cake should be kept out of the fridge as much as possible.  Something about the fridge dries out a cake.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:13pm
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I didn't have the nerve to start selling cakes before I knew I was ready. It's a shame that this business is picked to just jump into with zero thought of any accountability.

Thanks AZ. That's the word I couldn't put my finger on - accountability... These days, everyone who eats and has a kitchen in their home believes they can bake and sell. With no accountability. They take a cake order from a human being who is expecting that cake to be done well, and done on time. The new business owner is in business but doesn't know it? 

This new business owner wakes up one morning and realizes it's time to make the darn thing. Then wham - CC has a post HELP ME NOW!!!! ARGH... NOW! NOW! NOW! In their call for help, we have to give them step-by-step instructions. And in the sweetest tone. Or you know what happens: we are responsible and accountable for our bad attitudes.

Almost forgot to add the smiley face...     icon_biggrin.gif 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #38 of 69

AMimiFix for mayor!.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #39 of 69

AI spread mine throughout a few days as well, sometimes more depending on my weekly schedule, the design, etc. Longer for pieces that require longer drying times, it really just depends on the cake. I'm just unclear how much experience you have with covering cakes and stacking, that's why I recommended you have as much done as early as possible, there's nothing worse then struggling to cover your cake an hour before its due!

You might want to buy some Gumpaste or Wilton Fondant for your shoes so they can dry properly. I wouldn't recommend covering your cakes in Wilton but it can be nice for some molded pieces. I'm just concerned since you don't have your mmf made yet about them drying. Also, the picture had hand painted painting on it, for the leopard prints right? I'd try to have as much if not all of your cake completed before Saturday to make things less stressful on yourself.

Try not to take offense to any of the comments, it's merely meant as constructive critisim. If you are not confident in your product then others won't be either. Get some styrofoam cake dummy's and practice on those, they will not only help you gain experience and confidence, they'll allow you to create a nice portfolio. Get comfortable with your basic recipes, then customize flavors and add from there. Everyone just wants to make sure you get started off right, that's all. Good luck with your cake!

Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:30pm
post #40 of 69

AOh I just saw your shoes were finished, that's good!

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:33pm
post #41 of 69

AThank you yea im trying not.to.lol.and yes i made.the.mmf monday thanks

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:38pm
post #42 of 69

AAnd lady you don't have to help of you don't want to like i said if its annoying or gets you angry simply dont replay just say oh what a stupid post and get on with your life ayayaya pinches guera viejas

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:42pm
post #43 of 69

A

Original message sent by cuppycakez

And lady you don't have to help of you don't want to like i said if its annoying or gets you angry simply dont replay just say oh what a stupid post and get on with your life ayayaya pinches guera viejas

Oh yes, cursing in Espanol, how clever. Not everything is about you, sometimes people discuss things and matters in general.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:46pm
post #44 of 69

Acuppycakez, I recommend editing or deleting your last post. Cursing is not allowed here, regardless of the language used.

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:48pm
post #45 of 69

AAnd lady i gotta get my anger out somehow lmfao. and what am i supposed to think if its on my thread... Kk thanks anyways mean ppl but do gotta point. Im sorry ill never bake again it will be better for the world happy ok bye

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:49pm
post #46 of 69

The best piece of advice I can give you is DO NOT take cakes on you cant do. & seriously theres no nastiness intended. You may not have liked the way Godot delivered advice, but its good advice all the same. You absolutely SHOULD NOT be going into business without getting your ducks in a row. Its only to your benefit to do it the right way.

jason_kraft Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm
post #47 of 69

A

and what am i supposed to think if its on my thread..

You could follow your own advice and simply not reply.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:51pm
post #48 of 69

And those "ducks" include the business side of things. Not just looking up cake techniques and some basics which you dont really seem to have a handle on. Like really basic techniques. 

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:52pm
post #49 of 69

ABut its my thread ! Helllooooooooo

jason_kraft Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:55pm
post #50 of 69

A

But its my thread ! Helllooooooooo

Yes, you did start this thread, but that doesn't mean you own the content or have any control over who responds, and it certainly doesn't give you the right to post personal attacks. If you want this type of control I would suggest creating your own blog instead of posting in a public forum.

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:56pm
post #51 of 69

AYes and i understand thank you its just i dont like it when ppl disrespect me and being rude. Or maby im just over reacting cuz im preggo but who knows but yes i have relized that i am.not ready and this will be my last order for.now untill i get better and practice more and defently not go back to the mexican ladies that taught me how to do cakes whata waste of money lol but thanks

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:02pm
post #52 of 69

AYes i know i dont have control of what is said. But u guys said its not about me so i said its my thread so what am i supposed to think. And if i think you guys.are.being rude to me i am defently going to stand up for.myself period

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:04pm
post #53 of 69

AWhy do some of you got to be so >darn< lol rude .

Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:08pm
post #54 of 69

AWow

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:19pm
post #55 of 69

A

Why do some of you got to be so >darn< lol rude .

Pot, meet kettle.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:20pm
post #56 of 69

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

Wow

I just want to thank you. Honestly. I appreciate you taking such care & concern in offering very useful advice.

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #57 of 69

AYes thank you for all your advice i have gotten everything i need thank so.much

Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:50pm
post #58 of 69

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

I just want to thank you. Honestly. I appreciate you taking such care & concern in offering very useful advice.

:) Thanks, you girls crack me up. This site can be more entertaining then television

cuppycakez Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:57pm
post #59 of 69

ANow how do i delete this thread? Lmfao

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:08pm
post #60 of 69

A

Now how do i delete this thread? Lmfao

You shoul know. You own the thread right? LOL. Send a message to one of the moderators to see if they will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%