bolus Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:15pm
post #1 of

Hi all,

I am quite new to cake decorating and recently did a spiderman cake and being a novice I coloured my fondant with my wilton colours and waited until the absolute last minute before decorating. The cake came out nice but unfortunately the colours were quite dull and pasty. I have seen pictures of cakes with vibrant colours hence my search for bright food colourings. Reading a few threads on here people have suggested using americolor and I started searching for it.

My question is do I buy just the soft food gels? or the electric colours? There seem to be quite a variety and I just want to make sure I get the right ones.

Also, if there are any brands that give even more vivid colours and don't affect the taste I would be grateful for the knowledge.

Many thanks in advance.

8 replies
CakeRae80 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:37pm
post #2 of

The electric colors are gel.  They are just more of an "electric" color.  They are just different shades of green, yellow, blue, etc.

bolus Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:45pm
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRae80 

The electric colors are gel.  They are just more of an "electric" color.  They are just different shades of green, yellow, blue, etc.

Ok So can I buy a set of both of just the electric colour will do and I can make it as deep or as light as I want? Thanks

CakeRae80 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #4 of

Most places I've seen will sell the electric colors in either a group or single.  Just like any color, you can make them darker, deeper, etc. when adding additional colors to them.  For example I use royal blue from wilton and add black into it and it becomes a navy blue.

JanDunlevy Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:46pm
post #5 of

AWhen I want a vibrant color I definitely use the electric Americolors. I still use the no taste Wilton red when I need a very saturated red color. I use buttercream on all of my cakes so that is what I a coloring. Also, I color my icing the night before to allow time for it to bloom. It does darken considerably more. Hope this helps.

darkchocolate Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #6 of

I love my Americolor gels.  I started off with a set (that's how it was sold), then slowly bought more individual bottles.  I will say unless you are going to use a lot of one color, I would stick with the small bottles. Some of my small bottles have liquefied (the ones I rarely use).  I have the electric colors as well as many of their other colors.

I can now buy Americolor gels at Hobby Lobby.  I love being able to do that instead of ordering online.  I buy a big bottle of red because I also use that in my Red Velvet cakes.   I also buy black in the big bottle since you have to use a lot of it depending on what you are coloring.

darkchocolate Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:44pm
post #7 of

At this link you will find some good information on Americolor gels.

http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2010/05/all-about-food-coloring/

bolus Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:53pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate 

At this link you will find some good information on Americolor gels.

http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2010/05/all-about-food-coloring/

Thanks a lot. This is a very good site with a very good chart.

darkchocolate Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 7:48pm
post #9 of

Here is a link to a blog that might help someone who doesn't want to purchase a lot of different colors.

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2011/01/7-food-colors-i-cant-live-without-works.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%