Fondant Steps

Decorating By EndlessSummer Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 2:48pm by ddaigle

EndlessSummer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EndlessSummer Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 2

I want to know if there is a true and tried method to placing fondant on a cake, such as specific steps that every decorator uses.   Or is every situation different? 

Recently I tackled my first fondant cake with Satin Ice, and I seemed to work out ok, but it sweated bad!!!

My a/c stopped working and it was about 80% humidity (im in southern California ), and here are the steps that I did: 

• SMBC my cake, chilled till set
  • rolled out fondant
  • placed fondant on chilled cake 
  • smoothed and removed air bubbles 
  • placed back into refrigerator
  • Removed to decorate and it sweated profusely!

I've read so many different way's of doing it...such as store in refrigerator once covered with fondant, don't store in refrigerator, box and store in refrigerator, don't cover cake with smbc that is already set...the frosted cake should be at room temperature. 

Please help me develop my method. 

1 reply
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 2

There are many different ways.   I completely ice my cake and put in frig over night.  The next day I put on fondant  and decorate and put back in the frig.  My house frig is super dry so I can store my fondant cakes in it without it sweating.   My commercial frig is another thing.  I have to box my butter cream cakes in there.  It does get a little sweaty when I transport..but it dries up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%