Anyone Got Instructions For Debbie Brown Tom Jerry Cake?

Decorating By joandwade Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 10:36pm by sugarmagiccakes

joandwade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joandwade Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:36am
post #1 of 11

AHi I'm in need for the Tom and Jerry cake I've tried lovel tutorials but its not giving me anything when I pinned it on Pinterest before it was showing the instructions on lovely tutorials but now comes up blank can anyone help its my little boys birthday on Thursday and wants this cake

10 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 11

AI'm pretty sure that book is still in print. If not then try for a used copy at Amazon, or maybe your local library will have a copy.

sugarmagiccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmagiccakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 11

Is this the cake you are making?

joandwade Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 11

AThe only problem I have need it by Thursday and the post here can take up to 2 weeks to get it. And yes sugarmagiccakes that's the one did you make this?

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 11

I don't have that particular book and I just don't know many decorators that would be willing to share those instructions if they had it.  It's not really fair to Debbie Brown who sells the instructions in the book she took the time to make.  I think lovely tutorials had to take the instructions down because of copyright issues with Debbie Brown's book.  Anyway, good luck to you! 

If you look at the photo of the Tom and Jerry cake, and break it down into simpler forms it's a rather easy cake!  Don't look at the details as ONE, but look at it as several.  Look up Tom and Jerry online and print out a photo you can copy! Trace the eyes and ears.  Shape the ears into rectangles, the heads are round and maybe there's a ball pan used for Tom's head.  That's what I would do!   HTH! 

joandwade Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 11

AYeah I understand what your saying and I looked on line for the book cause I don't mind to buy it cause it looks like there is some really great cakes in it :-) but yeah maybe I can just break it down like u said. Thanks anyway.

sugarmagiccakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 11

Hey joandwade, yes I did make that cake for my son. Sorry I couldnt answer sooner, I know your cake had to be done by today.

Like knlcox said, i usually print out a picture of the cake i am copying and pin it up on my wall. Then I deduce how the cake was made. For example with this tom and jerry cake, toms head is made from a ball cake, then I made a small 5" x 3" loaf cake in my alan silverwood adjustable pan. You then carve the corners off to make a round tube shape, or a baked bean tin works well!

Cover the round board with black fondant in the centre.

Then split and fill the cakes, cover the ball with grey and I wrapped light brown fondant around the length of the hammer, then sealed up the ends with circles. Make sure you add the wood grain detail in the fondant while it is still soft. I gently roll my roller cutter up and down it in random lines for a great wood effect.

Then make your hammer handle out of the excess brown fondant and leave to dry (overnight). You are probably best using gumpaste.

And best doing toms ears out of gumpaste, stick the ears in place.

I then add the shape of the muzzle in white, the eyes cheeks then nose and finishing touches of eyebrows, whisker dots and a little hair. (Dont forget the pink in the ears).

Place the hammer on top, i usually use a wooden skewer or a dowel to secure. Make a small hole in the side of the hammer to accept the handle and "glue" in with royal icing.

Cover the outside edge of the board with brown and cut in a wood effect. Add 6 rounded fingers. 

Then a few stars on toms head and theres just the matter of modelling jerry, i struggled a little but i think he came out ok in the end. :) 

My 6 year old Ollie, (then 4) was mad on tom and jerry and he loved this cake! 

Let us know if you made it and how it turned out. thumbs_up.gif

joandwade Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:11am
post #8 of 11

AWell I was really pleased how my cake turned out to look at it was fab I didn't like the chocolate cake recipe I used to make it with tho so won't be using that again tried a new one didn't like it at all I will stick to my favorite chocolate recipe in future :-) but the Tom and Jerry cake came out well I will def order debbie brown book tho looks like she has some great cake sin that book. Thanks guys

daryll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daryll Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:40am
post #9 of 11

We would love to see it!!

joandwade Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 11

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3073209/width/200/height/400[/IMG] This was the finished result I'm pleased with it as this is my 4th novelty cake I've made so I'm still learning. Still got lots of equipment to collect this is a expensive hobby well it is where I live anyway . Thanks for the help all of you my son was very happy x

sugarmagiccakes Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 11

Amazing, well done on a great job! Keep caking because practice makes perfect.  thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%