Is It Possible To Make Coloured Chocolate Icing?

Decorating By snaily Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 5:20pm by snaily

snaily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snaily Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:56am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a chocolate cake, but I want the icing to be red, white and blue as it is american themed. I don't really like roll on type icing the taste isn't great so ideally I'd love the icing to be chocolate. Now I could just use white chocolate but I prefer plain chocolate. Could I maybe paint the cake after the icing sets? Bear in mind here I am really not an experienced cake maker so I don't really know what resources are out there :P

5 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 8:01am
post #2 of 6

I believe you can buy chocolate flavouring, either extracts or oils. That might be a possibility.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

You would have to use white chocolate to the best of my knowledge. I tried to do a search and couldn't find any chocolate extract that was clear. I personally don't like the taste of it in my icing anyway because it is a bit boozy. 

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

AWhat if you put your iced cake in the fridge and let the icing firm up, then take it out and ice it with a thin layer of the colored icing? Make it with white chocolate so the flavor complements the chocolate icing.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

What if you put your iced cake in the fridge and let the icing firm up, then take it out and ice it with a thin layer of the colored icing? Make it with white chocolate so the flavor complements the chocolate icing.

This is what I do all the time.  You get your BC firm enough and you really don't need to add that many layers so you can use regular BC that's been colored in thin layers.  The flavor of the chocolate BC will dominate.  The idea of the white chocolate flavor is a good one. 

This is one cake I did where the blue tier had chocolate BC underneath. 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3000986/a/3346208/chevron-peach-and-aqua-birthdy-cake/

snaily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snaily Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

This is a really good idea. I will do the two layers as suggested. I will find a recipe for hard-setting chocolate icing and then put a white layer on top. Thanks very much for your advice. One more thing through reading some other threads is there a special type of food colouring you need to colour white chocolate or can you use the regular stuff you find in supermarkets? As i want the colours quite vibrant I don't want to drown the chocolate in colouring and find it gets ruined!

Thanks everyone who posted :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%