Looked Beautiful! Tasted Dry! Freaking Out!!! Customer Wants To Cancel Next Order Please Help

Decorating By kellyd01 Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 7:26am by Kakeesha

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 42

I did a candy land themed cake for a birthday yesterday. It was the exact same cake I've made for 2 years now, and the leveled pieces were perfect... This is also the same cake I did a tasting on 4 weeks ago for this persons sisters wedding that is in less than 2 weeks. I received a message this morning they wanted to cancel because the cake was dry. I don't know WHAT to do.

1) my contract says (that they signed) no refunds on any cancellations w/in 45 days. Their wedding is 13 days away.

2) I've already bought EVERYTHING for this cake... boards, filling ingredients, non perishable cake ingredients

3) I do not have the $$ to refund them their deposit since I've already bought everything.

I need to respond to them... please PLEASE help

I'm considering calling the bride apologizing and offering to make her a new cake to try... one that is a box mix w/ an extender because honestly I think that's the whole problem. I'm a scratch baker... these people are NOT used to scratch cakes

41 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 42

AWell, if your contract is valid & signed, they can cancel but won't get their money back.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 42

Hi,  i am sending a récipe that can help you to make your cake moist

10 large eggs separated  not cold

2 cups sugar

1 pound butter unsaltd foftened

3 1/2 cups shifted flour then measured

1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with the flour

1 1/4 cup milk not cold

2 tsp vanilla e xtract

5 tsp baking poder

1/2 tsp salt

1.  shift again flour, cornstarch, baking powder

whip butter with sugar for 5 minutes, add egg yolks, uno by one, add flour mixture in 3 parts alterning with milk, always beating in the lowest power.  don´t over mix  Whip egg whites and add to the previous mixture.  very softly

bake at 350°  for  45 to 60 minutes until is done  To bake more uniform use flour nail.

make a simple syrup and brush the cake.  Good luck

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 42

Just be straight forward with them. You have a signed contract, you have already purchased the majority of ingredients and supplies. If they want to cancel that is fine, but as per the signed contract, a refund will not be given.

That is what deposits are for, to protect you from this sort of thing.

Offering her another cake option is a nice gesture, but I would not apologize. If the leveled pieces were perfect, the rest of the cake didn't magically go dry. Assuming it was made within a few days of the event.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Well, if your contract is valid & signed, they can cancel but won't get their money back.
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 42

Dear Unsatisfied customer,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not like the cake.  I do check each cake to ensure quality control, and am surprised to hear you found it dry.

I absolutely want for you to enjoy the wedding cake.  If you feel that you no longer trust for me to create your cake, I will have to understand.  Sadly, the cancellation would past the 45 day deadline as outlined in our contract.  I would be unable to refund any deposit.  

In an effort to reassure you of the quality of my work, I am willing to prepare another sample cake.  I am also willing to prepare a different version of that flavor or an entirely different flavor if you so choose.  Because we are so close to the event, I will need to know as soon as possible in order to prepare the sample for you.

I am truly sorry that you were disappointed.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.  Should you choose to cancel your order, please accept my heartfelt best wishes.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Dear Unsatisfied customer,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not like the cake.  I do check each cake to ensure quality control, and am surprised to hear you found it dry.

I absolutely want for you to enjoy the wedding cake.  If you feel that you no longer trust for me to create your cake, I will have to understand.  Sadly, the cancellation would past the 45 day deadline as outlined in our contract.  I would be unable to refund any deposit.  

In an effort to reassure you of the quality of my work, I am willing to prepare another sample cake.  I am also willing to prepare a different version of that flavor or an entirely different flavor if you so choose.  Because we are so close to the event, I will need to know as soon as possible in order to prepare the sample for you.

I am truly sorry that you were disappointed.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.  Should you choose to cancel your order, please accept my heartfelt best wishes.

Want to be my PR person? haha

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 42

A^^^ Excellent response. They had a tasting right? So they knew what your cake's taste and texture was like before they ordered. You can't go doubting your recipe that you've used for years and offering random boxed options because someone all of a sudden did something rash. If you doubt your product for one second, there's no way you're going to be able to convince anyone your cake was "perfect." I would go with DD's suggestion but for the future please create a product you can back 100%. If you go to a restaurant and you don't like the steak, they apologize and offer you something else, they don't change the recipe for you or explain to you that you're not used to charred steak because fire grilled steaks tend to be charred so they'll get one from Walmart for you and microwave it. Back your product or take it off the market.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 42

A

Original message sent by vgcea

If you go to a restaurant and you don't like the steak, they apologize and offer you something else, they don't change the recipe for you or explain to you that you're not used to charred steak because fire grilled steaks tend to be charred .

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 42

AYes! If you pay me really will & live with my flexible (but responsive) schedule.

As a matter of fact, that used to be my job!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 42

AYep. What deliciousdesserts said.

This is why you have that contract in place.

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 42

Thank you so very much! I actually LOVE my recipe... but I will be trying that one posted about just because I can't resist :) They were baked the day before... They didn't sit past cooling then icing and even still today the cake scraps I have taste perfect. I was just so very floored that I didn't even know how to react!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 42

Since it's a scratch cake and they obviously liked your cake at their tasting ( they ordered from you), I wonder if her sister refrigerated the cake and served it still cold. That could explain it seeming dry, cake, especially from scratch, really should be served at room temperature.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 42

I always inform the customer that because it is a scratch cake it must be served at room temperature.Since most scratch cakes are made with butter, the butter in the recipe gets hard with refrigeration, making the cake seem dry due to its hardened texture. If it was served chilled it was a cold cake not a dry cake.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:41am
post #15 of 42

AI think you should not refund, that is the purpose of all contracts, protect both parties, in this case you. Delicious Desserts, what a nice response

DeliciousDesserts Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:23pm
post #16 of 42

AThank you!

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabread 

Hi,  i am sending a récipe that can help you to make your cake moist

10 large eggs separated  not cold

2 cups sugar

1 pound butter unsaltd foftened

3 1/2 cups shifted flour then measured

1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with the flour

1 1/4 cup milk not cold

2 tsp vanilla e xtract

5 tsp baking poder

1/2 tsp salt

1.  shift again flour, cornstarch, baking powder

whip butter with sugar for 5 minutes, add egg yolks, uno by one, add flour mixture in 3 parts alterning with milk, always beating in the lowest power.  don´t over mix  Whip egg whites and add to the previous mixture.  very softly

bake at 350°  for  45 to 60 minutes until is done  To bake more uniform use flour nail.

make a simple syrup and brush the cake.  Good luck

I would be interested in trying this...what size pans do I need to prepare?   Thanks!!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 42

I am wondering the real reason behind the cancellation.  Something else is up.  However, I think you have every right to collect your money, so definitely collect it!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 42

Most likely someone in the family asked how much they paid for the cake and how much the wedding cake will be and said 'I can do that for much less'. 

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 7:11pm
post #20 of 42

let me guess - tasted dry . . . but there isn't any left over?

she's just trying to get out of her contract for some other reason I bet.

zahnby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zahnby Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 7:33pm
post #21 of 42

hi, this is an interesting cake recipe. I will certainly try it. Please let me know how much this will yield. what size cake pan(s) will it take? thanks  also what recipe do you use for the syrum 

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 2:40am
post #22 of 42

AI would be so nervous if I was the bride canceling my wedding cake 2 weeks before the wedding. Does she really think she can find another baker with such short notice? Sounds fishy to me.

I would hold her to the contract. And with only 2 weeks before the wedding I wouldn't offer to try a new recipe. That could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:16am
post #23 of 42

AI was thinking that too. You have to book months in advance for a wedding cake. Good luck finding another. Definitely don't give a refund. Sounds fishy indeed.

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 9:02am
post #24 of 42

AHi first let me start by saying if any of you are thinking about trying. Bananabreads recipe... do it. It's. Awesome along with all of her recipes. She is fantastic, was nice enough to send me some recipes. And they were amazing. On to the next topic, i dont think you should make another cake. I agree with everyone that something seems a little fishy. You have your contract and i also agree with the one who said stand by your product. Im sure it was really good but they are trying to get a discount or free cake or get out of their contract. Stand your ground and believe in yourself. If you do decide to make another cake i would send a letter word for word that delicious desserts said, that was perfectly said. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it goes

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 9:47am
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Most likely someone in the family asked how much they paid for the cake and how much the wedding cake will be and said 'I can do that for much less'. 

I would not be surprised at all if something like this happened. I don't think a bride cancels two weeks before her wedding (having already paid a deposit & approved the cake during a tasting) without having another baker/cake already set up. It sounds like she's trying to get out of it. I would hold her to the contract and keep the deposit especially as you've already purchased the supplies. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahnby 

hi, this is an interesting cake recipe. I will certainly try it. Please let me know how much this will yield. what size cake pan(s) will it take? thanks  also what recipe do you use for the syrum 

I would love to try bananabread's recipe.  Just wondering the same questions- how much does this yield and what size pans do you recommend? 

Thanks!

TessRA01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TessRA01 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:22pm
post #26 of 42

Excuse my ignorance, I only joined today and have much to learn and discover about cake decorating, but what is a scratch cake, is it an American term (I'm English), I've not heard it before?

Many thanks

kikiandkyle Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:24pm
post #27 of 42

AIt's a cake baked from scratch, rather than taking a boxed mix and adding eggs and water etc.

SweetSituationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSituationz Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:04pm
post #28 of 42

So you will never have dry cake feedback, i suggest you forever brush a simple syrup on top of your cakes...I do this alll the time because cakes tend to dry out if youplace them in the fridge to set the icing...I have never had a dry cake issue but this is what works for me....I use 1cup of sugar and 1cup of water, bring to boil turn off then add 1tbs of vanilla extract..Once cooled i brush on each layer of cake.

TessRA01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TessRA01 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

It's a cake baked from scratch, rather than taking a boxed mix and adding eggs and water etc.

Thanks, I did wonder if that was it but its not a familiar expression. You can't beat a home baked cake (imo)icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 9:15pm
post #30 of 42

A

Original message sent by TessRA01

Thanks, I did wonder if that was it but its not a familiar expression. You can't beat a home baked cake (imo)icon_biggrin.gif

I'm British too, but live in the US. I couldn't really think of the British equivalent, I don't think there is one. Mixes aren't really as commonly used in the UK as they are here, especially among professional bakers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%