modelling chocolate fist - do i need supports in the fingers?

Decorating By kyliecake Updated 11 Aug 2013 , 2:26pm by Stitches

kyliecake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:42am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys,

i am going to make a life size zombie fist out of modelling chocolate next weekend to come out of a grave.  I will put a couple of skewers in it to help anchor it into the grave, but do i need some sort of support in the fingers?  I have only worked with modelling choc once before, so fingers crossed (forgive the pun) this will work out.  thank you in advance.

8 replies
Louisekate1975 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 9

ADepends on the temperature in the air. Modelling chocolate doesn't set as hard in warm weather. So I would say yes, do put in skewers in the fingers. In fact I would make a skewer hand skeleton first.

Louise (like me on Facebook Alana Lily Chocolate & Cakes)

sixinarow Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

AStitches, your fingernails are awesome!! I did a hulk fist, since all the fingers were together in the fist, I used a skewer (horizontal through the 4 fingers) to keep them together. However, I used rkt as a base and covered with modeling chocolate bc it was really big. If you don't use rkt as a base, you may not need it. How big is it going to be?

Stitches Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:46am
post #5 of 9

Unless the hand is larger than life, I think covering RKT would be harder to do that making them out of solid CP. Thanks sixinarow!

Louisekate1975 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:53am
post #6 of 9

AThat's brilliant x

kyliecake Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:24am
post #7 of 9

very cool hand stitches.  I will make it this weekend so it will have a week to set up and it is pretty cool here at the moment.  I'm really looking forward to doing it.

thanks for the replies.  I will post a pic when I've completed the cake in a couple of weeks.

kyliecake Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 9

Ok so i did the cake and zombie hand.  really please with the way it turned out.  I made it about 5 days in advance and let it set in a bowl to keep the shape.  Just used one dowel in it and it was very sturdy.  Thanks for your help.

Stitches Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 9

Good JOB!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%