Customer Recipes

Baking By Egor Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm by Annabakescakes

Egor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Egor Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:21am
post #1 of 14

AHello. I made the change from hobby to business not long ago. I have someone ask for cupcakes for a wedding but they want there own recipe used for frosting. I'm not sure how I feel about this as my recipes are a part of my business and reputation. Any thoughts would help thanks

13 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:57am
post #2 of 14

AI would insist on your own tried and true recipes. Simply explain you know how they hold up and what they can do/can't do, weddings are not time for trying something new! Yes it is your business and your reputation, they chose you now they need to trust in your expertise. I imagine you've done a tasting, or they've had your product before. I wouldn't say I'm using mine because it's my reputation, that might hurt their feelings. Instead ask them what it is about their recipe compared to yours, the flavoring, is your too sweet, not sweet enough, etc.? This way you can accommodate their needs and still maintain creative control and the integrity of your business.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:59am
post #3 of 14

ANo. Just no.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 7:56am
post #4 of 14

ANo.

Egor Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:08am
post #5 of 14

AThis is a new customer/enquiry I think I was recommended to them. I didn't think about the workability side as well. I did a lot of adjusting before I had recipes I wanted to use. Thanks for your help

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:02am
post #6 of 14

AWell, I offer consultations for $25. I let them select 2-3 cake flavors and filling and BC/ganache. You can have them bring color swatches, discuss design ideas before so you can have sketches ready/or you can do that at the consultation/email after. Have them bring invites so you can get an idea of their theme, etc.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:45am
post #7 of 14

AI have done a family recipe for cake on two occasions, but in those cases they had to supply the recipe before I would book them. As well as cover the ingredients and time it cost me to test them out. in both those occasions it was fine, and it was made clear to the guests that it was a family recipe, I don't think I would do it for a frosting though.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 14

I've had to use customers recipes before when I worked as a Chef for someone else..........actually, their recipes turned out really well. More importantly, the people were so pleased it was heart warming.

It's not something you can do on a regular basis but I don't have a problem with it. I give them the warning that it might not work for me and if I have to I might wind up using my own recipe and everyone has agreed to that.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 14

When I was a restaurant pastry chef the owner booked large wedding parties and I made the wedding cakes. One time a bride-to-be told the owner she wanted us to use her recipe. He agreed, which got me very upset. But I hadn't heard from her by mid-week so I went ahead using my own recipe. She finally brought it in on a Friday, for her Saturday wedding. I never heard anything about it so I assumed she'd basked in the glory of her very own homemade cake.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 14

Only been asked to make a customer's recipe once. I was a sugar, gluten, no egg recipe for a smash cake. The rest of the cupcakes for the guests where my own recipes.The baby loved it and the mom and grandma are now sworn customers...Would I do a whole wedding cke this way?Probbly not....

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 14

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

When I was a restaurant pastry chef the owner booked large wedding parties and I made the wedding cakes. One time a bride-to-be told the owner she wanted us to use her recipe. He agreed, which got me very upset. But I hadn't heard from her by mid-week so I went ahead using my own recipe. She finally brought it in on a Friday, for her Saturday wedding. I never heard anything about it so I assumed she'd basked in the glory of her very own homemade cake.

LOL and I bet she would be forever flummoxed as to why she can't recreate the awesomeness of the wedding cake.

Egor Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 14

AThanks for your replies. I managed to get them to do a consultation. Will get them to try mine as what there asking for sounds similar to one I already have anyway but I know for sure mine works and is stable. Thanks again.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 14

Might be persuaded if it were due to an allergy or dietary restriction, and it was going to be a high paying order. I wouldn't mess around for a piddly $200 or under job.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

That is hysterical!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%