Should I Refund?! Help!

Decorating By iceprincess726 Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 12:27pm by DeliciousDesserts

iceprincess726 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceprincess726 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:00am
post #1 of 10

Advice needed!-

I made a birthday cake for a friend of a friend situation (I've never met this girl, my husband actually delivered her cake for me), anyways, she wrote me a pretty nasty e-mail tonight stating she wants a full refund because...& I quote!: "I was not aware your husband would be delivering, and you gave me no contact info for him. While I waited in the POURING rain, he was FIFTEEN minutes late, therefore ruining my hair and makeup. And to make it worse, the cake looked like a BLIND person made it!!! There was a very obvious finger mark on the frosting and the sprinkles were falling off..."...Upon asking my husband, he said she was inside when he got there, and he arrived late due to an incorrect address. I spent an entire day on this cake, and apparently she was absoloutely rude to my husband. I am the head baker for a very busy bakery in town and have done thousands of cakes, and never had a bad complaint- ever! How should I handle this? I am hurting so bad from this and soooo incredibly upset right now. I really do not want any bad reviews, but I just want to scream back at her! Sidenote- This girl is only 20, with a 5 year old, and from what I hear, quite the spoiled brat herself, which made me weary when she contacted me initially... any advice out there? Thanks!!

9 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:07am
post #2 of 10

Advice Number 1  - stick to the issue of the cake !

iceprincess726 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceprincess726 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

That's all she stated about the cake! No more details, except she thought a blind person made it. But thanks.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:10am
post #4 of 10

I meant YOUR sidenote!   it doesn't matter if she was 20 with a 5 year old or 60 with a 1 year old

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:10am
post #5 of 10

ASo let's see the cake.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:13am
post #6 of 10

AWait..in another thread you said you were basically new to cake decorating. Just trying to get a gauge on your level of experience before I offer advice. Bu seeing the cake would be helpful too.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:30am
post #7 of 10

Yes, let's see the cake!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:40am
post #8 of 10

AI had a child at twenty (Thank you Pam) but anywho...

Why did you have your husband deliver the cake? I don't know why she'd stand out in the rain. Was the delivery to a site or her house? I'm just confused about why she'd be standing outside. Sometimes I'll have my fiance drive for a delivery but I am always there for construction and touch ups, because I just don't trust anyone else to do that. Personally, I won't take several orders for the same day so I can make sure everything is executed properly-maybe that would help avoid future problems. Your running a large bakery, was this a custom cake or was it just decorated with sprinkles? Not that there's anything wrong with sprinkles but I'm just confused about the design and her design complaints. More info needed.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:34am
post #9 of 10

ADid the customer sign an invoice upon delivery indicating that the cake was acceptable?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 10

AIn order to offer advice, we really need to see the cake.

It's entirely possible that this young woman is a terrible, lying spoile brat. It's also entirely possible that the cake was not up to standards.

In any case, I would absolutely apologize for being late but also relate the reason for being late was the incorrect address.

I personally deliver almost every cake. I honestly can think of a time I sent my husband. However, he was acting as your agent. Bakeries, in my town, have several employees whom try trust to deliver.

In the future, it is a good idea to provide contact information for the person delivering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%