dawnybird Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #1 of

I'm making a cake for a little girl who loves Lisa Frank. I don't want to exactly copy one of her designs, but rather use her style as inspiration. I'm going to put some dolphins on it and fish and coral but I have to use the riot of hot, neon colors that are an integral part of her designs. I'm not sure how to combine colors of fondant to cover the cake. Should I paint the fondant? I don't have an airbrush so it would have to be by hand. Would airbrush colors be best to use? If I paint it, should I start with white fondant or a light base color of some kind?

 

Any ideas for which way to go would be appreciated!

10 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm
post #2 of

Are you going for a tie dye look? I would add color to separate balls of fondant and then roll it to get a tie dye effect.

Here's an explanation: 

 

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-cake-boss/2010/06/tie-dye-cake.html

 

I hope I didn't misinterpret what you were asking, if I did- apologies! It just seems to me like this would be easier than hand painting the fondant if you're going for that tie dye look! 

AZCouture Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 10:34pm
post #3 of

AWhat a fun theme! I would airbrush the background the tie dye look myself, and accents and details from there.

dawnybird Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez 

Are you going for a tie dye look? I would add color to separate balls of fondant and then roll it to get a tie dye effect.

Here's an explanation: 

 

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-cake-boss/2010/06/tie-dye-cake.html

 

I hope I didn't misinterpret what you were asking, if I did- apologies! It just seems to me like this would be easier than hand painting the fondant if you're going for that tie dye look! 


I didn't really have any particular thing in mind except to get all of those vivid colors! This is definitely one way to go. Thanks!

dawnybird Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:20pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

What a fun theme! I would airbrush the background the tie dye look myself, and accents and details from there.


Yeah, I think it'll be fun to make. I don't have an airbrush yet, though. Sure wish I did!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:54am
post #6 of

AYou could try a sponge technique. Mix some coloring with vodka, dip a sponge, tap excess off on paper towel, then pounce the sponge up and down on the fondant. Keep doing it until you get the coverage you like.

Sorry, I don't know if this will actually work, just guessing here. I have done this with other crafts, but not on fondant. Practice on some scrap fondant first. You might not need to use the vodka.

bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:35am
post #7 of

AI like the tie dye effect idea. If you are sponging more than one color, I would be afraid of it becoming a mottled brown color. I would definitely start with a base color instead of white.

dawnybird Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm
post #8 of

This sounds like a great idea! I'll practice on some "scrap" fondant and see how it looks! Thank you!
 

dawnybird Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 7:00pm
post #9 of

Thanks for the input about the base color. It's what I was thinking too but wanted other opinions.

bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm

Definitely post a picture when you are done. I remember having Lisa Frank binders and folders growing up. Everything when I was in middle school was Lisa Frank, down to my pencils and sharpener. Glad it is still around!

dawnybird Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:20am
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

Definitely post a picture when you are done. I remember having Lisa Frank binders and folders growing up. Everything when I was in middle school was Lisa Frank, down to my pencils and sharpener. Glad it is still around!


Okay, I'll do that. I've never uploaded any of my cake pics because I don't think I'm good enough yet. Certainly not up to the standards on this site!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%