Help!!! Tips For Carrying A Heavy Cake??

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 27 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm by as you wish

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have a 3 tier groom's cake today that is super heavy. We thought we would be able to use a cart to transport from our car into the venue (down an elevator) but just found out we won't be able to use it. This sucker is heavy, heavy. It's already stacked/ decorated, can anyone share tips on how to carry a heavy cake from car a fairly long way to cake table???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll have my husband to help me, but I'm so nervous about this without the cart!!!

6 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

AThat is nerve wracking! Is the cake in a sturdy box? I like to use file storage boxes for large/heavy cakes; the kind with the really strong bottom, not the quick set-up ones. Maybe if your husband is carrying it and you are going ahead of him to get doors, elevator, etc. it will work out okay. Also, if it were me, I would bring along a second sturdy box to use as a makeshift table to put the cake (in its box) down on to rest from time to time. Does that make sense?

sixinarow Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

Makes perfect sense, great idea with the "table". The cake is in a fairly sturdy cardboard box with a non-skid mat and we are going to put the box on top of a piece of mdf (with non-skid in-between also). I'm still nervous!!!!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 7

I put my heavy and large cakes on a metal sheet pan 16"x24". When I lift the pan I can lean it into my stomach as leverage and I hold my arms out straight like a wall brace.This way I can actually lift 3 tiered wedding cakes myself. Maybe that's hard to understand, but it's the leverage part that works because a average women can't hold a cake outward from touching their body with-out super upper arm strength (or a lighter cake). On the tray lets me lean the cake tray against my body.

sixinarow Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 7

AWhew, made it AND they had they cart!! Yippee! !Thank you for all the advise, it'll come in very handy for the next heavy bugger!!:grin:

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

I put my heavy and large cakes on a metal sheet pan 16"x24". When I lift the pan I can lean it into my stomach as leverage and I hold my arms out straight like a wall brace.This way I can actually lift 3 tiered wedding cakes myself. Maybe that's hard to understand, but it's the leverage part that works because a average women can't hold a cake outward from touching their body with-out super upper arm strength (or a lighter cake). On the tray lets me lean the cake tray against my body.

That's a great idea. I had to carry a cake into a venue a while ago and only just made it, I think. My arms were pretty shaky by the time I put it down.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

Whew, made it AND they had they cart!! Yippee! !Thank you for all the advise, it'll come in very handy for the next heavy bugger!!:grin:

Yay! Thank goodness for happy surprises!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%