Michelle Foster's Fondant Recipe Question!

Baking By ashleybakes Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 9:27pm by AZCouture

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 15

AI have used this recipe many times and love it but I made a batch last night and it must not have been the correct temp when I combined everything because it has hard lumps throughout. I planned on covering the cake today and I know it is supposed to sit over night. I want to make another batch but does anyone know if it will be OK using it without letting it sit over night? I can let it sit for a couple of hours but cannot wait until tomorrow.

14 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 15

BUMP

no idea i'm sorry

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 15

AProbably little globs of gelatin that didn't get dissolved all the way. Either that of your ps had lunps? Anytime that's happened to me though, it was because the gelatin wasn't dissolved all the way.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 7:55am
post #4 of 15

AI agree, probably gelatin lumps. I never sift my PS but always strain my gelatin mixture.

Can you pick the lumps out?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 15

You can use it right away, as long as you let it cool to lukewarm before you mix it into the powdered sugar. If it is too hot, it will sag and stretch off the cake. 

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 15

AThank you everyone. I think it was gelatin lumps. I had put the mixture in thr fridge to get it to lukewarm faster and I think that is where I went wrong. I made it again and let it sit at room temp this time and strained it twice before combining with the sugar. I wrapped it up and let it sit for 3-4 hours before I needed to get going. It worked just like usual although I did have to add a touch more glycerine. Thank you for your help everyone!

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 15

Can any of you share your MFF recipe??  I can't find it on CC after doing several searchs.  Thanks a bunch!!

AZCouture Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 15

AIt's just in my head after all these years.

Add 2tbsp gelatin to 1/2cup half and half, whisk vigorously, let sit until it's firm.

Microwave for about 45 seconds.

Whisk vigorously again, add a pinch of salt, 2 tbsp butter room temp, 1cup corn syrup, 2 tbsp glycerin, splash of almond extract. Mix like the dickens and if there's any chunks, strain, if not, into a KA bowl that has 2 lbs of ps in it, turn on low with dough hook.

Scrape down, add the other 2lbs of ps, mix, turn out to knead with a bit more ps. Wrap in lightly oiled saran wrap, and into a Ziplock bag.

Use next day.

AZCouture Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 15

ANow, that's how I do it. Is it word for word.the original recipe or the steps? Probly not. I'd look for it and follow along step by step your first.time out. On phone, so can't link you to it.

AZCouture Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 15

AExcuse the random periods...sorry. Google it, you'll find it.

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you, I did finally find one that I can follow using your measurements. There were several links to the recipe but the links didn't work. Thanks again.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 15

Where can I buy glycerin?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 15

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

went through a bunch of threads last week to find this recipe for Michelle Fosters Fondant.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 15

AZcouture:  do you use this MFF with almond ext. on cookies?

regular fondant taste awful on cookies (no matter how nice they look)

AZCouture Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 15

AI don't make cookies, so I don't know. I'm sure it tastes fine though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%