Wanting Experience In Cake Decorating Store In Usa

Business By george101 Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 1:05am by george101

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:51am
post #1 of 10

Hi, I have an idea I want to put out there and see if any professional decorator would be interested in exploring it further.

I am 45 years old and wanting to start a career in cake.

I have the  business experience .

I also have the design ideas and time .

I know people enjoy my baked goods and keep telling me I need to open a store.

I have a supporting husband.

I am a quick learner and a very hard worker.

What I  don't have is the experience in things cake, if you look in my gallery you will see my cakes to date.

I do not have the tools I need to work with .

I do not have the knowledge of what tools I must buy and the ones I can live without.

( although I am in the process of purchasing an Agbay )

I do not have the resources I need where I live to develop my skills in the way I need to be successful.

I know the cost of travelling to the USA would amount to more than me completing a course in my own country but having been to the USA in the past, I have a real passion for the way you do cake, big or small you do it like no one else ( no disrespect to anyone , just the way it is done in the USA is the way I hope to learn )

I also adore the USA and have this idea, that if a professional cake decorator could take me under there wing for a period of time.

Even if it was only a week, where I could learn some techniques and tips even if only as an observer.

I would really appreciate it .

I realise its a strange request but a genuine one

If any one is interested please message me.

Many Thanks

9 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:20am
post #2 of 10

AGeorge101, you're in luck. No need to spend $$ coming to the US to learn and you don't need a caker to take you under their wings. You have access to the best already.

Wanna learn the US style of cakes right where you are? These are your best bets: Cake Central, YouTube, Craftsy, Cake Masters. The last two are paid sites but you will learn oodles till you reach saturation point. With these sites, the very best in the cake world will take you under their e-wings. With Cake Central the "search" option and google (make sure you type in cake central after your search criteria e.g. [B]how to make fondant swags cake central[/B]) are your best bets, there's even a thread with hundreds of tutorials here on CC. Just be proactive, do a diligent search and don't wait for everything to be spoon-fed to you.

As with any form of mastery, the key ingredients are practice and time. Practice, practice, practice.

As for tools, you'll begin to figure out the ones you need as you see different techniques and what tools the cakers you follow are using in their tutorials. Don't go crazy buying a bunch of stuff. Many things can be done without buying a cutter for every single thing. Make a list and when you find someone traveling to the US, have them pick up some stuff for you, or just buy them when you come to visit. Many sites online will ship internationally, even Ebay has some stuff.

Good luck.

george101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:45am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for your thoughtful reply but trust me

An opportunity to be part of a live working environment wins hands down for me.

I have only been able to do the few cakes I have done because of my best friend Google and the wonderful people who share there  wisdom through him.

I liken my learning decorating skills to newly opened fondant ,kneaded the right way has the potential to give great  results, not quite enough,  results can be iffy to say the least.

Thanks for your advise really appreciate you took the time to share .

It will take years to perfect the art, ( if ever ) the opportunity I am hoping for is to give me a base to work from.

It is really hard to explain what I hope to achieve,  I just know if I do not ask the opportunity will never present itself and it will always remain just another idea.

It just feels like this is the right time to put it out there.

Thanks again.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:28am
post #4 of 10

AIf you insist on a classroom-like experience, the PME courses might be your best bet. PME is more UK-based. Unfortunately, the bulk of learning for cake decorating is not classroom but hands-on self learning. Most cake decorators use classes to [B]supplement[/B] what they've learned themselves through taking the initiative to find learning experiences for themselves. Even pastry arts programs in culinary schools typically don't focus on cake decorating so going to school won't give you much in terms of cake decorating unless the program specifically has a cake decorating certificate or something similar.

If you're looking for internships with top cakers like Ron Ben Israel, for example, please know that they're not looking for interns who don't have the basics down and are looking to be taught the basics of cake decorating--that's what Wilton is for. These positions are highly competitive and they only choose a handful of the best.

Even if you go to work in a bakery, part of your interview is to see how well and how fast you can decorate cakes. In a fast paced bakery, the employer needs you to be able to deliver quality work consistently. They expect you to at a minimum be good at what they are hiring you for.

Basically, to learn cake decorating, you're going to have to seek out and create your own learning experience. No one avenue is going to give you everything you need to know. No one caker is going to make you into a super cake decorator by taking you under their wings.

If you insist on classes then you'll also have to spend the money to travel here (or wherever these instructors go) and pay for their classes which typically can hit US $500 - $750 if not more per class (might span a day or 2). Being spoon-fed can get pretty expensive.

Good luck.

george101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 7:18am
post #5 of 10

My thought is to spend a few days with a decorator, I do not want a job, nor do I expect to be taught

I have taught myself from google to achieve the cakes I have made, and will continue to do so.

I am prepared to fund a trip ( what would be a very expensive trip ) for an experience.

What I am asking if anyone is interested in exploring this idea further

I am hoping for an opportunity to travel to a country that I love to have an experience that I cannot get in my own backyard.

I have a lot to offer and hope this idea sparks an interest.

Thanks

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

AI'm not sure it's actually allowed from an immigration standpoint - unless you are authorized to work in the US, you need a visa that allows you to work even just to volunteer at a charity.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 10

Actually, vgcea has given your the best advise possible!!! You should listen to her!

You will learn so much more from online classes and websites then you ever could working for a limited time with a cake artist. There is only so much you can learn in a couple weeks and no one is going to teach you unless you're paying to take a class. A job for a week or two isn't going to teach you enough to make the travel costs worth while. Those people will use you as free labor and have you doing such basic things that you won't learn much. Where as with a online video or tutorials you can watch them over and over to learn.

You can approach Chefs asking to do a "stage" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_(cooking) with them. Write them professional letters asking for a stage. You might find someone who will help you, but your not going to get enough education out of it as a beginner as you're hoping for. Being from another country isn't as limiting as you might think we are pretty immigrant friendly in kitchens. Try to find someone born in your homeland that is living in the country you want to go to. They are more likely to lend you a helping hand and be more fluent in your language.

george101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 10

I appreciate your advise, and  are already aware of the visa issues etc. 

and like I have said this was never about a job, just an experience, and it is one that is impossible to  get where I live, as there is nobody doing the things I am wanting to see being done as I live in the country.

As you all know , Professional decorators are not just TV or You tube stars,  but everyday hard working cake store owners/ employees who quietly work away producing beautiful products.

I was thinking  one of them could be interested in sharing some time with me, so I could observe the equipment they use and the way they use it.

The actual decorating , as you are all telling me  ( and like I have already used in the past for the few cakes I have made ) Google has covered.

I am a previous business owner with a strong artistic background,

It is kind of you to be concerned about language barriers but as I live in a beautiful English speaking country where very talented people work and live. ( and Yes English is my first and only language ) I have never found it a problem in the past communicating in the USA.

My love of the USA and the interest in the way they prepare food is why I wanted the  experience .

I appreciate you all taking the time to share your thoughts.

It is just an idea .

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:15am
post #9 of 10

ok so where are you? Which country? Because there are tons of other English speaking countries that have amazing cake decorators from whom you could probably ask for an internship/stage. I don't think you have to go to the US to study under a cake decorator. England, Australia, NZ...they all have incredible talents there.  

Planet Cake in Sydney does a paid internship- as in YOU pay them to work/study there for a period of time.

Also- I believe the very very top ones in the US...like Ron Ben Israel- he only accepts those who have graduated from a pastry school -or so I've heard- (not that something like  that is required at all to decorate cakes).

the above poster really gave you the best advice (of youtube/online classes etc). But it seems that you are only wanting to go the US? Is that right?

george101 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #10 of 10

Yes the US appeals . This is where I find my inspiration.

All it is for is an experience, plain and simple, 

You guys have been a great help, thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%