Tennis Ball Cake

Decorating By Charmed Updated 26 Jul 2013 , 6:34pm by knlcox

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone done a 3D sculpted tennis ball cake?  I need to make a giant 3D tennis ball!! icon_biggrin.gif something like a 10 inch ball cake~!!   Anyone has tutorial/pics of how to Carve a giant ball and how to support the bottom part?  appreciate any help.

6 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 7

Bake it in a ball pan. Wilton sells a 6" round ball pan. If you need a bigger size, you can bake the 2 halves in 2 pyrex bowls and frosting them together.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 7

thankssixinarow, but I need to make a very big  ball  (16 inches in Diameter) and I don't think they make pyrex bowl that big... I typed the wrong size in the original post....I was hoping someone could share instructions/tips on how to carve a ball shaped cake from sheet cakes and what kind of supports needed.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed 

thankssixinarow, but I need to make a very big  ball  (16 inches in Diameter) and I don't think they make pyrex bowl that big... I typed the wrong size in the original post....I was hoping someone could share instructions/tips on how to carve a ball shaped cake from sheet cakes and what kind of supports needed.

Well, THAT makes more sense as to why you want to carve it!! icon_biggrin.gif I've never made a ball that big, but hopefully my response will bump your question so someone who has can help you!!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 7

I used the wilton pans and didn't like them. Tend to dry too fast on the crust.

Since the diameter is 16" Divided by 4 would be 4 sheet cakes at 4" each layer

Then stack two and tort and dowel mainly towards the center. Use a sturdy plate not cardboard to hold the weight of the cake.

Take a 16" cake plate and place on top trim around and you will have a 16" round cake

Stack the other two and trim then place on top of those.

So at this point you will have 4 cakes with cake plate in between 16" high just round cake.

Take a circle 16inchs fold to find center. Place a pin in the center and stick to the cake.

The circle will be perpendicular to your cake. Trim around the circle.

Then just move around the cake with your circle template.
Try not to go too small on the bottom because of support.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

This is the way I would do it...Just as a note, I have not had to do one of these again. Last time it was the wilton pans and like I said I didn't like them.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

I've seen it done on a cake show once.  The baker stacked 3 cakes at a time, doweled and stacked 3 more, doweled and stacked 3 more.  They were all huge square cakes.  She had boards in between the cakes that were set on the dowels and they were much smaller size than the cake that sat on them.  She just started carving away. She carved the cakes on a thick foamcore board and stuck a sharpened dowel into the top through the center of the cakes pushing the dowel into the foamcore board.  It just helped to hold the cake in place for delivery, I think.  Print out a circle as big as you need your cake to be.  Use that as a guide to cutting.  I usually stick my guide to my cakes using buttercream and carve around it.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%