Fondant/gumpaste Question

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 2:27am by DeniseNH

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 7

I made this figure using a mixture of fondant & gumpaste.  However, as you can tell by the photo, there are creases.  I added Crisco to the mixture, but in some areas it seemed like it wasn't binding.  What am I doing wrong?

6 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe you can knead it more to make it softer and just roll it between your hands longer until it's a smooth ball.  That happens to me with gum paste but it always comes together if I roll it long enough.  When I roll it between my hands I try to get the lines out by flattening slightly and then making a ball again.  I repeat that motion until the ball is super smooth.  I hope this helps! 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 7

Crisco does NOT make the GP less likely to crease or crack and too much of it will RUIN the GP.  Adding in a bit of fondant, glycerin, or egg white will help with smoothness.

Take the ball of GP, smooth it down until the imperfections are in one spot [now the bottom].  Smooth that the best you can using your fingers.  Roll the ball in the palms of your hand--not on your fingers--pressing while doing the best to move your palms in opposite directions.  The result should be a pretty smooth product.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:20am
post #4 of 7

Hi, this is great help.enjoy

" rel="nofollow">

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:20am
post #5 of 7

Hi, this is great help.enjoy

" rel="nofollow">

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 1:02am