How Much Would You Charge For These Cupcakes?

Business By shortcake4589 Updated 26 Jul 2013 , 9:39pm by BatterUpCake

shortcake4589 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake4589 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 1:56am
post #1 of 12

Hi!

My fathers friend owns a restaurant here on Long Island and he sometimes has me do his cupcake orders but he always invoices the customer and then pays me. This time he sent me the client's information and wants me to handle the pricing but I'm terrible at this and need help! Last time he paid me $3each for cupcakes decorated with bc flowers but I'm not confident enough to ask someone to pay that much. What would you ask someone for these cupcakes? PS. she wants 39vanilla, 13chocolate and 13red velvet all topped with buttercream decorations.

11 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:16am
post #2 of 12

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below. If you aren't operating out of the restaurant's kitchen you should make sure you are compliant with local food safety laws, since in some areas you need a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen before selling food.

If the restaurant is paying you $3 each for cupcakes, they are selling them to the customer at a markup (probably around $4 each) so there's no reason not to be confident. If you price under $3 each you will probably be undercutting the market, and you really don't want to do that.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 11:45am
post #3 of 12

A

Original message sent by shortcake4589

Last time he paid me $3each for cupcakes decorated with bc flowers but I'm not confident enough to ask someone to pay that much.

. Why?

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 11:58am
post #4 of 12

There is quite a bit of detail on your cupcakes! Be confident! Trust your father's friend who owns the restaurant.   He's aware of the market value and is probably aware of what people will pay! 

shortcake4589 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake4589 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 12

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

. Why?

I know my products are worth it because they're beautiful and they taste great. So I guess it's because I'm self taught and don't have a serious enough business yet so I feel like I shouldn't be asking for that much?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 12

Obviously the customer was happy to pay more than $3 for YOUR cupcakes last time so why wouldn't you be confident that they are worth that same amount when buying directly from you? In addition to what Jason said about being licensed, some licenses only cover selling directly to the consumer so make sure yours covers selling to a restaurant for resale. Better to do everything legally than risk losing your behind... 

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 12

Don't down play being self taught!  I'm self taught...34 years ago I started when I couldn't afford a 1st birthday cake for my daughter...I found an old fashioned Wilton kit for Raggedy Ann, with plastic tips and really firm plastic piping bags and a heavy foil pan...I practiced on a cookie sheet piping those stars over and over...and wholla!  I read books and just kept practicing over and over before you tube...now you can watch first hand online if there is a technique you don't know how to do!

Charge the $3 a cupcake!!  They are the same cupcakes your uncle was selling and direct from you they are not paying his mark up either!

Good luck!! You are worth it! thumbs_up.gif

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 12

Oops...I guess its your father's friend not uncle!...too early! lol

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 12

AHe was paying her $3 per cupcake so probably charging the customer $4!!! Charge $4....and feel 100% comfortable with it. A thing's value is whatever someone is willing to pay. History shows that someone paid more than $3/each

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 12

For that much piping on every single cupcake?  $4 each and since I only sell by the dozen, it would be 6 dozen for $288.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 12

ARemember that you are not your customer - just because you wouldn't pay $3-4 for a cupcake doesn't mean they aren't worth that. If a pro has been paying you this much, and likely charging his customers even more, this is all the confirmation you need that they are worth that much.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 12

When will they add a like button? Kiki  "LIKE"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%