To Drum Or Not To Drum--That Is The Question

Decorating By tripleE Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 3:11pm by tripleE

tripleE Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hope there isn't already a forum about this.  The site has gotten so dang big that searching has gotten harder and harder. 

My question--do I use a silver-wrapped cake drum (14" under a 12" layer) under a round wedding cake that will be placed on a larger, round, silver cake plateau?  I've seen some cakes with and some without.  Guess I'd like some opinions on the matter.  Thanks!

7 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 8

All my cakes go on a drum.  If it's going on a cake stand I always make sure the drum is the same diameter as the stand (or smaller).

ddaigle Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

I don't drum my single tier cakes...but drum all of my tiered cakes as I run a dowel through all tiers and into my drum.   I am also anal about having my bottom board match the size of the plateau. 

leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 8

Years ago I used to have the plateaus delivered to me so that I could build that bottom tier right on the plateau.  Then one tipped over during delivery and I stopped that nonsense.  Build the cake on a drum and when you get to the venue, place it on the plateau.  Those three little legs on the plateau are not all that stable.  

DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

AI build right on the stand. I always check it to make sure it can hold & have never had a problem. I prefer the look.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 8

ADrum. Unless it's a smaller cake on a pretty pedestal and it would look better built right on.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

Depends on the cake for me, and the stand. I almost always drum, but there are some stands I trust enough to build straight onto.

I have a pedestal that doesn't have feet, just a solid base, heavy as Kansas, I will build right onto it. I will drum the cake if they are renting/buying their own from somewhere else though.

tripleE Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help!  I did drum, and it worked out great!  I'll post a photo sometime today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%