How To Keep Cake Board From Sticking To Icing . . .

Decorating By Zamode Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 9:10pm by Zamode

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:16am
post #1 of 8

I have a small loaf cake that will be a bed and am using a 12" round cake board covered in a woodgrain finish to place it on a 12" round underneath. I want the top board to come off easily for cutting. I cannot get teh parchment paper to stick to the bottom of the woodgrain board. I am trying to overlap the woodgrain a bit over the sides to cover the edges of the parchment but it doesn't help much. Suggestions please?

7 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:46am
post #2 of 8

You can hot glue 3 12"  boards together so they don't slip, take your wood grain covering all the way to the edge, using a sharp knife to cut the fondant flush with the edge of your board.  Hot glue ribbon around the base.

I'm not sure why you would need to remove a 12" board from a 12" board for cutting?  Could you elaborate on that?

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 10:50am
post #3 of 8

AI am not sure if I understand your vision, but if I do then you might have success by rubbing a bit of shortening on it. It will help the parchment paper stay where you want it to, but will also be easy to remove later.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 8

I think she means she has the bed cake on a 12" board, which is finished with a woodgrain effect. This 12" board with the bed on it, sits on top of a 12" round cake.

My question is, why do you have the bed on a 12" board? Can you not do the wood effect on the top of the 12" cake? I would put the bed on a smaller board, dowel the bottom cake, and put the top cake on the board on the dowels...

If you really want to use parchment, I suggest cutting it a bit smaller than 12" round. Use crisco to stick the paper to the board, and more to stick the board to the cake below. Just don't travel anywhere with it stacked like that to avoid any slippage. You really need to make your bottom cake have a "square" a top edge as possible so there is no noticable join between cake and the board on top of it.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 8

ACould you use a platic separater plate instead of parchment? And put the woodgrain cake board on top of it?

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 8

ADoh. Typing on my phone. ^^ should say plastic plate. If I understand ..it is a 12"round cake, then the 12"round wood grain cake board "floor" then the loaf cake "bed" on top.

Zamode Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

I think she means she has the bed cake on a 12" board, which is finished with a woodgrain effect. This 12" board with the bed on it, sits on top of a 12" round cake.

Yes, this is what I am doing. I am concerned about the size of the board because of any gaps. I did it for my daughter's cake a few years ago with no issues but this one has to travel so that's a concern. I don't have any plastic plates. I wanted the parchment underneath so the bottom cake could be cut without ripping up the icing on top.

Zamode Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 8

I did the 12" board because I have fondant pieces going on the floor and didn't want them in the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%