Piping On A Cake!!??? Please Help Asap!!!!!

Decorating By mellbel25 Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 8:03pm by leah_s

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 5

AHello everyone !

So I need to make this cake this weekend , and I had an idea of how I would do the piping design on here but does anyone have any tricks or tips?? Maybe a video tutorial on how to do it??? Is it better to use piping gel and color is green or should I use green buttercream? What supplies do I need!???

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3062900/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

4 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 5

AI, personally, would use buttercream.

You'll need to play with it a bit. Good piping takes Lots of practice. Pressure is key.

There are thousands of YouTube videos. Search piping scrolls.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 5

AI agree with DD, I think piping gel is kind of gross. If your covering the cake in BC you can set some aside to tint darker/different colors. You'll need piping tips and a bag/parchment bag. The fact that your asking what to use seems like you don't have a lot of piping experience. I'd definitely do some practice scrolls, lines, etc. you can print out templates and put parchment over so you can practice.

If you have any experience with fondant you can again print out or hand draw a template, tape some parchment down over that, then use an extruder (or hand roll sausages thinly) to form your shapes. Let them dry and attach to the cake. I guess they would dry flat now that I'm thinking about it so you could form them around a cake dummy to dry.

These are fairly simple designs though, you can mix it up a bit so I'd practice piping

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5

That's basic piping 001. Probably a nr 3 tip and colored BC.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

Agree, that's very basic stuff.  Probably used the Wilton press to imprint the design, then just pipe over it.  #3 tip is right, I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%