Pre-Made, Pre- Formed, Cake Filling

Decorating By BC Dogwood Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 6:44pm by Annabakescakes

BC Dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BC Dogwood Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone - I am having hit and miss success with my cake fillings firming up.  I read somewhere - perhaps on CC, perhaps elsewhere (but didn't bookmark) a method using gelatine, i think, in the filling and pre-setting it in the relevant size cake pan.  Once it's set, remove it from the pan and place it on the layer.  Not sure of the details and would like to try it to test it's stability.  Is any one familiar with this?  I am a novice in the cake making and decorating realm but rapidly gaining ground with all the help from this forum.  My first post!  Thanks.

7 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

No, I've never heard of anything like that.  Personally, I don't think I'd really want fillings so firm that they "set up".

Many people just pipe a good dam of buttercream and put in whatever filling they like.

Now, if the filling is a butter based BC or a ganache, those can be put on, allowed to set in the fridge, etc.  I imagine that's how those picture perfect RBI cake layers are achieved.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 8

That sounds kind of gross. I like my fillings to be sort of squishy, and soft. Like the icing. Maybenot has it right on, just pipe a dam. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 8

All you would have to do is dissolve some gelatin into your filling, spread it onto parchment so it's easy to remove, and let it set in the fridge, but you will end up with gummy bear filling.

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

All you would have to do is dissolve some gelatin into your filling, spread it onto parchment so it's easy to remove, and let it set in the fridge, but you will end up with gummy bear filling.

That sounds...chewy...

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 8

Chewy in that sense in a cake doesn't sound good at all...

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

That sounds...chewy...

You say that like it's a bad thing...

*gag*

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 8
Quote: