Modeling Chocolate Totally Seized Up

Decorating By RubinaD Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 2:10pm by RubinaD

RubinaD Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:18am
post #1 of 13

I made a batch of modeling chocolate a few weeks ago. I used Wiltons candy melts and corn syrup, it was completely fine then. I went to use it tonight but it just seized up. I have added Wiltons regular colour, not the candy colour, before and have had no problem, but tonight, it just fell apart into bits. It has been rather warm here, could that be the problem? Anyone have any thoughts? thanks so much! 

12 replies
MBalaska Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:40am
post #2 of 13

Wilton Candy Melts with corn syrup have given me the same problem, and I've tried it with about 4 different bags of Melts. It either got oily or crumbled.  I tried the microwave, and the double boiler. I gave up and started buying REAL chocolate at the grocery store.  Hersheys chocolate bars work fine for my candy clay needs, and I just started using homemade marshmallow fondant (which colors beautifully) instead of candy clay.  I didn't find a solution, I just changed the product that I use.   perhaps someone else had an answer.

RubinaD Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 13

thank you for your reply, I didn't have a problem before. Just yesterday when I added the colour. I made the yellow melts the other day with no problem,  very strange.

sixinarow Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubinaD 

thank you for your reply, I didn't have a problem before. Just yesterday when I added the colour. I made the yellow melts the other day with no problem,  very strange.

You can try to zap it in the microwave for 5-10 second intervals and re-knead it. Sometimes you can save it, sometimes it's just too far gone if it's very hard and crumbly. :/

RubinaD Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 13

thanks sixinarow, never thought about re-zapping it. it was still very moist, but just broke apart when I tried to blend it. I still have some of the white, I will try again this morning and see. thanks again.

sixinarow Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubinaD 

thanks sixinarow, never thought about re-zapping it. it was still very moist, but just broke apart when I tried to blend it. I still have some of the white, I will try again this morning and see. thanks again.

After you zap it and start to re-knead, it might get really greasy from the chocolate separating, just keep kneading it to incorporate the oil back in. Let me know if you have any more problems and I might be able to talk you through saving it.

RubinaD Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks sixinarow, I did try a little this morning again, no change. yes it got really oily and just separated. I am thinking that the zip lock bag I had it in, was not zipped properly, and the air got to it. that is why it's a little crusty/crumbly in the bag. I will try again after work, I still need to use a little for black. will keep you posted. thanks again.

kristiemarie Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 13

Honestly, the times my mc has turned out I've used TollHouse morsels.  No kidding.  

RubinaD Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:18am
post #9 of 13

AI am really getting frustrated now. I made a brand new white and it worked beautifully, then I made the blue and added more colour in the melted stage. I thought it would work better, no such luck, went to get another bag of the blue, metled and added the syrup, no extra colour and I can see the consistency is not the same. They are both resting and we will see in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:19am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubinaD 

I am really getting frustrated now. I made a brand new white and it worked beautifully, then I made the blue and added more colour in the melted stage. I thought it would work better, no such luck, went to get another bag of the blue, metled and added the syrup, no extra colour and I can see the consistency is not the same. They are both resting and we will see in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Adding color at mixing actually means you over mixed it. You only need 30 strokes, no more. 

RubinaD Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:02am
post #11 of 13

AThanks so much everyone.

WickedGoodies Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:37am
post #12 of 13

I recommend adding the food coloring along with the corn syrup when making modeling chocolate. It helps if the corn syrup is warm (not hot). The chocolate should also be only warm, not hot. You can use any kind of chocolate to make modeling chocolate. Recipes, instructions, and comparison of how different quality chocolate affect modeling chocolate are all at this link:  http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2013/01/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate/

 

RubinaD Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 13

@wickedgoodies, love your book, and thank you so much for the information. I haven't looked at the new batch I made yesterday yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%