Cake Tastes Like...

Decorating By cakechic87 Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 4:33am by kikiandkyle

cakechic87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechic87 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 33

I recently got a complaint from a customer saying her cake tasted/smelled like smoke. I do smoke, but not in my home. I smoke outside, no where near my cakes. The cake was vanilla flavored buttercream (dyed purple) & I used chocolate buttercream dyed black (to make a leopard print pattern). Maybe she just tasted the cocoa powder in the black buttercream spots? I don't know why or how the cake could taste or smell like smoke. Could it be all in her head? I've never heard of something like that before. Should I refund her money?

32 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 33

AYou handling the cake after smoking could have done it. I am a non-smoker and I can detect things like that from a mile away. Some are more sensitive to it than others. I would also check the oven. If there are food particles in the bottom that are putting off smoke while baking, that could be the culprit. As for refunding, that is your call. If you feel you did something wrong, I would.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 33

Smokers just don't get it.

I'm a rabid non-smoker, and yes, I can taste smoke in food that's been prepared by smokers. It doesn't matter if you don't smoke inside or around the cakes . You've gone outside to smoke,  but that smoke is on your breath and in your clothes and hair when you come in and start working up close on your cake and decorations (I don't care if you brush your teeth - your breath still stinks like smoke). You've held that cigarette with your hands, and even if you wash your hands (which I sincerely hope that you would do after smoking), your hands still stink like smoke - and you start working on the cake.

I absolutely believe her that the cake tastes like smoke. You should refund her money. And quit smoking - because this will happen again - even if they don't complain they will chuck the cake, never order from you again and tell everyone they know that your cakes taste like smoke.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 33

Smookers just don't get it.

I'm a rabid non-smoker, and yes, I can taste smoke in food that's been prepared by smokers. It doesn't matter if you don't smoke inside or around the cakes . You've gone outside to smoke,  but that smoke is on your breath and in your clothes and hair when you come in and start working up close on your cake and decorations (I don't care if you brush your teeth - your breath still stinks like smoke). You've held that cigarette with your hands, and even if you wash your hands (which I sincerely hope that you would do after smoking), your hands still stink like smoke - and you start working on the cake.

I absolutely believe her that the cake tastes like smoke. You should refund her money. And quit smoking - because this will happen again - even if they don't complain they will chuck the cake, never order from you again and tell everyone they know that your cakes taste like smoke.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 33

APeople who have quit smoking are even more sensitive to & bothered by the smell of smoke.

Used to, quit, & am ultra sensitive.

Lucky6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucky6 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 33

My neighbor gifted me home made bread and pudding in two separate occasions. I tried the bread and it tasted as if I was eating cigarretes, I only smelled the pudding and it did smell like cigarette, so yes I'm sure it tasted bad. Smokers become desensitized to cigarrette smell

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 33

I smoked for over 25 years...have not smoked for the past 6.   I was so, so shocked at how my sense of smell was all wacked out.   Smokers....you cannot smell yourself.  Trust me.  I swore if I washed my hands, brushed my teeth and sprayed with body spray I was good to go.  You have no idea how you smell.   I could smell myself after leaving a bar...but for the most part, had no idea after those "smoke breaks" how I smelled.   Believe me....you really, really smell bad to a non-smoker.  Really, really....did I say really bad?  Get Chantix!  Was a magic wand for me. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 33

I am a former smoker, started when I was 8 years old, and smoked for 5 years! (My mom worked nights, we had no supervision!) Then I quit for about a year, and started again, and so on ... I have been quit for 6 years and I can smell my neighbor coming up the drive. I can smell smoke on her daughter, and she doesn't smoke in the house or car.  My husband thought he would start again about 5 years ago, and I kept smelling it on him, after he said he quit, and he yelled at me one day when I accused him of smoking and said, "There is no way you can smell smoke on me! I pulled over, got out of the car, used a baby wipe on my hands, and brushed my teeth!" whoops! 

I believe she tasted smoke in the cake. If it were me, I would either quit or start another profession. 

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 33

And refund her money.

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I smoked for over 25 years...have not smoked for the past 6.   I was so, so shocked at how my sense of smell was all wacked out.   Smokers....you cannot smell yourself.  Trust me.  I swore if I washed my hands, brushed my teeth and sprayed with body spray I was good to go.  You have no idea how you smell.   I could smell myself after leaving a bar...but for the most part, had no idea after those "smoke breaks" how I smelled.   Believe me....you really, really smell bad to a non-smoker.  Really, really....did I say really bad?  Get Chantix!  Was a magic wand for me. 

WOW! Congratulations! I started SUPER young, but all together, I smoked about 14 and I can still long for a cigarette. Until I smell it! Then it is a no-go! Do you still crave at all? I really think with me, it is habit, I see a cigarette, or someone light up, and I want to too..... and then I smell it! 

ddaigle Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 33

I do miss the social aspect of smoking....sitting outside with a glass of wine or a cup of coffee...I miss the "addiction"  but don't miss the smell or potential cancer.  That awful commercial on TV right now with that bald lady talking through that tube should make any smoker scared as hell. 

I recently left a bakery where I worked (as a nonsmoker) for 4 years...my first "food industry" job.    I don't know about other food industry jobs, but it seems like a lot of people in that industry smoke.   No one ever washed their hands when they came in from a smoke break.   Don't know if that is common...but it was where I worked. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 33

Did you deliver the cake?  If you smoke in the car, it could have gotten into the icing from that.

Before smoking was outlawed in public buildings, we had a drugstore with a soda fountain where you could sit and smoke at the counter.  If you ever bought a box of Kleenex there when you were picking up a prescription, the Kleenex in the closed box reeked of cigarette smoke.  It was terrible.

If you smoke, I don't think you realize how strong the smell is to non-smokers.

Liz

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:

I do miss the social aspect of smoking....sitting outside with a glass of wine or a cup of coffee...I miss the "addiction"  but don't miss the smell or potential cancer.  That awful commercial on TV right now with that bald lady talking through that tube should make any smoker scared as hell. 

I recently left a bakery where I worked (as a nonsmoker) for 4 years...my first "food industry" job.    I don't know about other food industry jobs, but it seems like a lot of people in that industry smoke.   No one ever washed their hands when they came in from a smoke break.   Don't know if that is common...but it was where I worked. 

That is what I miss too. I haven't seen the commercial, but cancer scares the crap out of me. 

The non washing of hands is really common. That was my experience everywhere I worked. When I smoked, I HAD to wash my hands after because I didn't like them turning yellow. 

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 33

I can't stand to go into a convenience store where smoking is allowed. Even if I just run in, throw my gas money on the counter and hurry out, I can smell smoke on myself for hours! I can easily imagine it clinging to cake.

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

I can't stand to go into a convenience store where smoking is allowed. Even if I just run in, throw my gas money on the counter and hurry out, I can smell smoke on myself for hours! I can easily imagine it clinging to cake.

In Kentucky, we grow tobacco, so we don't regulate it as much as most areas. But most restaurants don't allow it, and I haven't been in a gas station in years that allowed it. There are both smoking, and non smoking bars, but there is no smoking in about 99% of places. They used to have smoking areas, but the cigarette smoke didn't know if it was wafting into a non-smoking area. I sat as far away as possible, even when I smoked.

http://www.stateoftobaccocontrol.org/state-grades/kentucky/grade-summary.html#cigarette-tax

Even though I don't smoke, and hate the smell, I think it should be a personal choice. I like to think of the "F" grade we get as short for "Freedom".

I

ddaigle Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 33

I am retired army...and when I joined...EVERYBODY smoked....when the drill sergeant said "smoke 'em if ya got 'em"...man you lit up!   The funniest thing I remember about smoking was taking a huge jet from texas to germany..the entire plane was all military in our uniforms & gear.   The last "few" rows were "the smoking section"...hahaha...those poor non-smokers....like the smoke was going to stay in the last few rows.   

I remember when we got at that altitude when the pilot would put on the "smoking" sign....man, it sounded like machine guns going off with all the lighters clicking. 

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 11:17pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:

I am retired army...and when I joined...EVERYBODY smoked....when the drill sergeant said "smoke 'em if ya got 'em"...man you lit up!   The funniest thing I remember about smoking was taking a huge jet from texas to germany..the entire plane was all military in our uniforms & gear.   The last "few" rows were "the smoking section"...hahaha...those poor non-smokers....like the smoke was going to stay in the last few rows.   

I remember when we got at that altitude when the pilot would put on the "smoking" sign....man, it sounded like machine guns going off with all the lighters clicking. 

Yep! That is why I started smoking. My step dad was military, and so was his brother, and his wife, and we all lived together. Everyone we knew smoked, so my brothers and I would steal one or 2 a day from everyone we knew, so we had a stash of them under my bed :-) We were 8, 10, and 11...

I remember riding on a Greyhound from Arizona to Indiana, and the whole bus was filled with smoke. I remember my dad smoking in the waiting room at the Dr. office, and I remember people smoking in the grocery store....I don't think I could smell it then, it was raised in it! 

ddaigle Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 33

Well Anna...since we ran off the OP and are telling smoking war stories.....I remember walking through the airports smoking..seems so weird now...but here's a horrible story!  I'm going to tell it because I'm in my 50s and my son is 30 now!    "Back in the Day"....many smoked while pregnant.   Yep...and I did.  You could smoke in the waiting rooms at the hospital...that just cracks me up to even think it...but wait............ I was in labor.....walking around the waiting room......pushing my IV............SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine what that looked like!!!.....Good God...I can't belive it myself.   Makes me shake my head ...30 years ago.....a different era.  

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:14am
post #19 of 33
Quote:

Well Anna...since we ran off the OP and are telling smoking war stories.....I remember walking through the airports smoking..seems so weird now...but here's a horrible story!  I'm going to tell it because I'm in my 50s and my son is 30 now!    "Back in the Day"....many smoked while pregnant.   Yep...and I did.  You could smoke in the waiting rooms at the hospital...that just cracks me up to even think it...but wait............ I was in labor.....walking around the waiting room......pushing my IV............SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine what that looked like!!!.....Good God...I can't belive it myself.   Makes me shake my head ...30 years ago.....a different era.  

AHAHAHAAHA!!! What a site to see, lol! To be fair, I think I read that they are much worse now, than then. And you just didn't know, back then, you can be excused. ;-) 

My neighbor smoked during her whole pregnancy, I would see here there on the porch, arm resting across the baby, while she puffed... GROSS! She knows better, no excuse! 

My SIL, smoked during her pregnancy 6 years ago, and even said that her Dr. "recommended she didn't quit smoking because it would be too stressful on the baby" My foot! 

I love to see the old tv shows and movies where smoking looks so romantic, it cracks me up. I guess I'm twisted though!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:29am
post #20 of 33

ARemember when smoking was permitted at hospitals??? I can smell a cigarette a mile away. Ewwww...,stop baking until you can quit smoking. Even if you refund her money, your cakes will still smell. Also, your cake boxes might smell too. Even if you smile outside, the smoke permeates everything...clothes, hair, fingernails.... I can only imagine how difficult it must be to quit, but it can be done!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:30am
post #21 of 33

AWell, smile outside everyone...lLOL. I meant to say smoke.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:51am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Smokers just don't get it.

I don't know how to highlight the above paragraph but I am in agreeance - as a non smoker I can smell that a person is smoking before they get close enough for me to see the cigarette.

The lady who altered my wedding dress smoked (my MIL organised it and I felt obliged to use her) and even though she didn't smoke in the house my dress smelled so bad that I had to rush around when I got it back just before my wedding to find somewhere that could clean it for me. Disgusting.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:55am
post #23 of 33
Quote:

This is pretty much my story exactly. Chantix was a miracle for me and my husband. We quit together on the same day. Fun fact: I quit smoking the same week I took my first Wilton class icon_biggrin.gif.

Sorry, totally off topic!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #24 of 33

I don't smoke but I can tell when someone has even if they smoke outside, My coworker goes outside under the pretext of getting something from his truck and when he comes back he is chewing gum but he still reeks of cigarettes. I'm not trying to be judgemental, just honest. Cigarette smoke permeates so many things, and the smoker usually doesn't notice. Perhaps you should do the same thing you did for cupcakes or a small cake and have a non-smoking friend or relative give your their opinion. Also, check your oven like someone else suggested in case their is something in there that is burning.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:35am
post #25 of 33

As a person who is highly sensitive to smoke I can vouch for smelling it and not. For some reason my neighbors who smoke never smell like it unless right after they smoked one. Maybe they only smoke one a day? We can even be outside and he is on his property line smoking and I'm on the other side of the fence and I can't really smell it. He is the only example in my entire life friends included that I couldn't smell the smoke.

However I have left so many restaurants and places due to smoke I can't count. I was the child who so rudely told my mothers co-worker to put the cigarette out in the car because it stunk so bad I could barely catch my breath. I absolutely refuse to go to any stores where co-workers stand out by the entrance and smoke.

My guess is you smell like smoke and you have no idea. I bet it also depends on brand and how many times you smoke in a day.

If you are smoking half a pack in a day guarantee that cake smells like it.

Smkymycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smkymycat Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:15am
post #26 of 33

I have to agree with everyone. I have environmental asthma. There are basically 2 things that trigger it. Smoke and misty, rainy weather. Because of this I am supersensitive to smoke and can tell who is a smoker and who isn't. Even washing your hands, short of wearing gloves you are going to have trace amounts of smoke on your hands that will transfer to the cake, frosting and decorations. Remember that even though cigarettes have filters, they are filtering out tar and tar is a very very sticky substance that adheres to everything. Those filters do NOT catch everything, hence why your lungs are black with tar.  It is your choice to smoke, you are an adult and responsible for your actions, however if you are choosing to bake cakes for others you may want to rethink that choice for those of us that have reactions to smoke.. Like mine the inability to breathe......Heaven forbid I eat something that has been prepared by a smoker and NOT have my inhaler around...

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:20am
post #27 of 33

Our local Milestones always has the line cooks sitting out back next to the dumpsters smoking, and it always permeates into the restaurant. Just having smoke in the air tends to make everything taste a bit smokey, at least to me. Maybe just a mental thing, lol.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:22am
post #28 of 33

ASame here, I also have asthma, and I can easily tell when something has been in the vicinity of a smoker for an extended period of time. Secondhand smoke can trigger a reaction, so I'm very happy about California's stringent anti-smoking laws.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:41am
post #29 of 33

I grew up with my mom and step dad smoking.  They lit up their next cigarette off of the first before they even finished it.  Our furniture, walls, drapes...everything just reeked of smoke!  I used to be the one who had to wash the windows where my step dad sat.  When I saw all that brown stuff rolling down the windows after I sprayed the Windex on, and it took me 3-4 times to get the window clean, I wasn't so sure I wanted to smoke.  Then when I got a little older, a friend tried to teach me to smoke and inhale.  When I was chocking and hacking trying to learn to inhale the smoke, I figured it just wasn't worth it.  I was 18 then, and it was more than enough for me to not start.  I hate it to this day to smell the cigarette smoke smell....it is so disgusting!  I know people have to have the right to choose; just wish it didn't affect so many others as well.  But then I'm the same way about drinking alcohol, too.  My mom and step dad were also alcoholics.  Seeing, hearing and watching them was enough to turn me off to alcohol as well.  But it's come in very handy....I'm designated driver for hubby and my 2 sons when they need it.  I don't have a problem with that, and I get to give them a bad time about having drunk so much (if they do)!!  Guess I'm classified as a tea totling (probably spelled that wrong but I think you get the idea)  non smoker!  But I'm happy that way and it's my decision.  As much as smoke permeates everything, I never really thought of it affecting cakes, though.  Learn something every day.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:32am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakechic87 

I recently got a complaint from a customer saying her cake tasted/smelled like smoke. I do smoke, but not in my home. I smoke outside, no where near my cakes. The cake was vanilla flavored buttercream (dyed purple) & I used chocolate buttercream dyed black (to make a leopard print pattern). Maybe she just tasted the cocoa powder in the black buttercream spots? I don't know why or how the cake could taste or smell like smoke. Could it be all in her head? I've never heard of something like that before. Should I refund her money?

Cakechic87~~Unfortunately, I agree with many of the previous posts.  Smokers absolutely become desensitized to the smell of smoke.  If you do a google search, you will come up with statements similar to this:

"Smelling like an ashtray isn't the only impact smoking has on the nose. Smokers also experience a dulling of their senses; smell and taste in particular take a hit when you smoke.

Smokers can't appreciate the taste of many foods as intensely as they did before smoking, but it's really the loss of the sense of smell that diminishes the ability to taste, notes Andrew Spielman, DMD, PhD, associate dean for academic affairs and professor of basic science and craniofacial biology at the NYU School of Dentistry. Breathing in the hot fumes of cigarette smoke is toxic to the senses."

http://health.walmart.com/health-advice/is-smoking-dragging-you-down/print/

I suggest that you refund the client's money.  You have my sympathy--it is devilishly difficult to quit smoking.    You may wish to re-think your approach to selling baked goods from your home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%