Isomalts

Sugar Work By ascalero Updated 25 Aug 2013 , 5:18pm by ascalero

ascalero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ascalero Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

AHi! I'm making a lantern cake, and was considering using isomalts for the "glass". I was thinking of making them 5"x1" and then "glueing" them around so they look like the glass part of the lantern, and put an electric tea light inside. I have never worked with isomalts before so I don't know how fragile or reliable they are. Is this a crazy idea or is it possible? Will the isomalts together be able to support a lantern lid made of rice crispy covered in fondant or are they too fragile? Also what do you charge for 3D cakes? I am in nj.

6 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:53am
post #2 of 7

If I were to approach this I would find a cookie cutter the shape you want or make one. Then I would slowly pour the isomalt in outlining the outside of the cutter first so the shape had time to dry.

Yes they can hold the weight if supported well which would be the trick.

However you will be using a lot of isomalt and probably would not be cost effective.

I think i would just go buy some candy in the color you want remelt and then re pour following the same instructions as above. Just make sure you get it hot enough otherwise it won't set up.

As for pricing there is a pricing thread and you could post a picture of your sketch and you could get a price that way. Without a picture or description its really hard to tell.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:10am
post #3 of 7

Isomalt is cheap in bulk and lasts forever! I've had a bag for 4 years now, and it still works the same as day one. Plus you aren't supposed to eat it (it's a powerful laxative) so it's strictly for appearance.   I would make a simple frame mold using foam core board or other cardboard if you don't have a metal cutter in the size you need, and then cover the inside of the frame/mold with wax paper coated with non-stick spray. Pressing frame down to be sure there's no liquid leaking under the edges, I'd pour the somewhat cooled melted isomalt into the frame and let it set. Even if some does escape under the frame, you can use an oiled metal spatula to push it back & further refine the shapes of the edges, as long as you have let it cool for a bit, say 10-12 minutes in our hot Florida weather. When I have needed to clean up the edges of an isomalt/sugar item, I have used a hot spatula or craft knife to cut & smooth edges, or even heated a griddle and pressed the cooled isomalt items against it to get sharp edges or lines.  It's very forgiving!  Good Luck!

ascalero Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 2:11am
post #4 of 7

AThank you! I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done! Wish me luck!!!

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

Fabulous Job!  You should be very proud!!!!  

ascalero Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks shasha2727!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%