Great Way To Stencil On A Round Cake!

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 2:24pm by cupadeecakes

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I just found this video by Alan Tetreault that demonstrates how to stencil on a cake using royal icing. It's a short video, but my favorite part is at the end where he shows how he keeps the stencil in place on a round cake.

He attaches a sterile stretch wrap (he says you can buy at any drug store) to the stencil and it holds it in place. I think it's brilliant and thought I'd share.

4 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, remnant3333! I know some people stencil with buttercream. I've only stenciled on cookies, and I used royal for that. Royal icing is very easy to make. I would think it would be less frustrating to stencil with royal icing on a cake just because it dries so quickly and it hardens when it dries, so I wouldn't be as worried about smudging it.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 5

I have stenciled buttercream on buttercream and it is very doable, but I'm not sure that it will work with a crusting buttercream.  I do make my stencil coat a little thinner than my regular buttercream.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

I have stenciled buttercream on buttercream and it is very doable, but I'm not sure that it will work with a crusting buttercream.  I do make my stencil coat a little thinner than my regular buttercream.

I've used a crusting buttercream to stencil and it does work.icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 5

That's good to know Kara!  I know a lot of people on this site use crusting buttercreams, and sometimes techniques work better with one or the other.  That's why I usually try to add that as a caveat. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%