Literature Themed Cupcakes (Also Vegan)

Baking By Bosbo Updated 27 Jul 2013 , 11:16am by Bosbo

Bosbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bosbo Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

I'm new to the thread so am unsure how the rules work and if posting completed cakes and cupcakes in the threads is frowned upon. So i'm sorry if it is.

I am in a book club with my girlfriends and i saw this idea online and so thought i'd make them with my friends favorite books and books that are special to her in some way as so much of me and my girlfriends love literature.

They were so easy to make and everytime and it's kind of the first time i've really worked with fondant someone asked "how on earth did you do it" i couldn't help but wonder how they can't see it's just a bit of fondant wrapped around a rectangle of fondant with an edible image whacked on top.

The cupcakes were lime and coconut flavoured (completely vegan) with a lime frosting (vegan again) and my absolute favorite cupcakes despite not being vegan i just love this recipe and jump at the chance to make them.

The icing being lime has a real fresh, tang to it. It's fantastic if you don't want something buttery and are sick of that buttery frosting taste.

Photos available in this link https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151757685794468.1073741832.654784467&type=1&l=db7da79ffe

5 replies
kenitaw248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenitaw248 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

AI love that idea they turned out great! I'm new on here too and not sure of the netiquette either

Bosbo Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 7:06am
post #3 of 6

no one has posted anything so i guess it's okay. I just know a lot of other forums i'm on discourage photo posts because if everyone did it, it fills the threads. But maybe cause this is a slower forum they might not mind.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

I LOVE those!!!!  I would love to do something like this for my husband for his birthday.

How did you find images that small, to print?

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 6

Oh and it's totally ok to post pictures!!!  We LOVE pictures!

Bosbo Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks paper fishies!

I just copy and pasted them off google into a document in microsoft publisher and shrunk em down if i couldn't find them in google i went onto online book stores and searched for the books and covers i wanted, i think i didn't allowed the length of the image to be larger than 2.8cm and i don't think i allowed the width to be wider than 2.25 i think it was (might of been 2.2 or even 2.5) i can't really remember, i just tried my best to keep the sizes and ratios consistent. 

Once i had an A4 page worth (or slightly smaller) i went to my local cake shop and asked em to print them out onto edible image paper.

She also told me i can print whatever i can fit onto an A4 sheet but that wasn't exactly correct, the margins are at least .5 of an inch on each side so the first time it was printed it went over the edges heaps and so the books on the edges didnt' work so she shrunk the whole page in store and re-printed it but then said i can have the original sheet anyway as 75% of them still were okay and she wasn't going to use them, so luckily for me i have a tonne left over!! :-) i've got the whole Harry potter set and can't wait to do them for my own birthday next month.

I did some hunger games ones this weekend for a friends birthday 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%