How Do I Respond??

Business By MarshMello Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 11:14am by Godot

MarshMello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarshMello Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 11

AI did a two tier topsy turvy for a new customer over the weekend. Today I get a message saying she enjoyed the cake but it was cracked when she got it (her mother picked it up and drove it 90 minutes to her). I explained that cracking may happen if its not sitting right in the cat, if its hot, if its bumpy... Then she says her mom said it was like that when she got it. I know that's completely untrue because I looked at it 100 times before it left my house. What do I say, if anything??

10 replies
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 11

Do you take pictures of your cakes from all angles? I do, for just that reason. Also, when I deliver a cake or someone picks it up, I have them sign the contract that says it is as ordered and accepted.

MarshMello Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 11

AI sure do take pictures! And it was fine. The contract sounds like a good idea. I think I might have to do that from now on

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 11

AI would say that the clients mom didn't mention it when she picked up the cake, and that if she had then it would have been taken care of, and that the cracking wasn't visible to you when you checked it before handing it over. Not much else you can do really.

If it was such an issue I'd assume she took many photos of the cracking, before even taking it out of the box. Because who doesn't have a camera (even on their phone) at a party these days?

MarshMello Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 11

AThanks kikiandkyle.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 11

I agree about the contract. She accepted it as is, you have photographs of the final product (it would help if you have a date/time stamp on them) and the fact she didn't raise it as an issue during the pick-up is huge. You could respond in a kind way by re-stating that her mother approved of the final product, accepting the cake transfers any and all liability to the customer and you have photographs of the cake from all angles. Any damage during transport of the cake is unfortunate, but assumed by the client after the cake leaves your premises, unless they pay for you to deliver it to the venue. If this is a repeat client and you're worried about losing business, you could always offer a small discount on their next purchase.

Sorry this happened, hope it works out well!

MarshMello Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 11

AThanks all. I replied and she said her mom should have mentioned something. And all is good. I am definitely using your suggestions for next time!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:48am
post #8 of 11

Lying cow.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:48am
post #9 of 11

Lying cow.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 6:53am
post #10 of 11
Quote: